cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 vs Windows Server2008 vs. 64bit

Dan_Davis_2
Level 3
I don't really know how to express this.  It really is a huge mess of a problem.

First of all, it seems that no Symantec product can be installed in parallel with any other Symantec product.  One has to either purchase a server for every single Symantec product, or run VM's for each.

BE CPS 12.5 running on an existing 2003 server cannot support managing the RA on any 2008 server.  One might think to install the CMS onto some other 2008 server and use that to manage the Server2008 installs to publish to the existing backup group.....nope, can't do those in parallel either.

Purchase BESR 8.5; two weeks later Win7 arrives and we have to wait weeks more for BESR 2010.  PTL we have a service agreement in place, but we're still waiting for new keys.  Seems they can sell the product to new customers, but cannot figure out how to support existing customers.

Tired of waiting, I grab the trial-ware, plop a new VM up (Server 2008 64bit).  I figure they might get me the keys within the next 60 days.  One might think that a product named BESR 2010, you could throw this thing onto a 2008 version'd server.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  The install barfs claiming the management solution cannot be installed on Windows XP / Vista.  Did M$ repackage Vista and sell it to me as Server2008?  Doh!!!

I dig up the "READ ME" and discover the following software requirement:  "32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2, Enterprise Edition, or Standard Edition"

This plainly states thou shalt not install BESR Management Solution on 64bit versions of anything, or any bit versions of Server2008.  IIRC, Server2008 is comming up on its second birthday in a few months.  64bit solutions are quite a bit older than that.

What is going on here?  What year is this?  We don't buy 32bit versions of Server2003 anymore?
16 REPLIES 16

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Dan -

It appears you downloded BESR Management Solution (BESR MS), which is a management tool for BESR. This will not install on 2008 boxes at this time. This is because BESR MS utilizes the Altiris management infrastructure.

However, the BESR 2010 software is compatible with W2k8 R2 and W7, and will install on these OS's without any problems.

Symanticus
Level 6
ok, does BESR MS a separate licensed software or it is as part of BESR 2010 single purchase ?

criley
Employee Accredited
Albert,

BESR-MS is free. Obviously you still need licenses for your BESR clients.

Dan_Davis_2
Level 3
What do I use to manage my clients for BESR 2010?  8.5 had a management console where I could create groups / jobs / schedules.  This BESR MS that I grabbed and installed only neems to have given me something named, 'Symantec Installation Manager'.

criley
Employee Accredited
Dan Davis 2,

I would suggest that you refer to the BESR MS admin guide which should help you out:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/336319

teiva-boy
Level 6
 BESR MS is the replacement to the older BESR Manager.  It's now built on the Altiris platform, and not a standalone console from what I recall I read somewhere.

Dan_Davis_2
Level 3
Man do I feel like an end-user, but...my delema is I grabbed this 1GB d/l and after running the setup, all I have is 'Symantec Installation Manager'.  From here, what next?  I see a list of available products, none of which look like BESR in any way.  Yes I read the only doc that came with it.  BESR is not mentioned.  Is there a doc anywhere that says, "To install BESR 201, you will first need too....."

Out of curiosoity, I tried to install one of the listed products, and after a couple of 'Next' clicks....nothing.  The windows go away.  No application crash, hung, nuttin.  No event log entries, nuttin.  What gives?

criley
Employee Accredited
Please refer to my earlier response and take a look at the admin guide - there is a detailed section in there that walks you through the install process.

egnaz
Not applicable
The new Management Console can only be installed on Windows 2003. Why don´t you call youre release "Symantec Management Console 2003"?
No just kidding.
Please develop your own manager solution. The Altiris Console ist not the right solution for the most customers. Totally oversized.

edroszcz
Level 2
I am in the situation where I don't have many Windows 2003 servers to install Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution.

The only Windows 2003 server I really could use has Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 installed.

Can I install Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution on a Windows 2003 server that already have Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 installed? Is that supported?

I would really appreciate input from Symantec regarding this.

Regards Erik

KarbonKopy
Level 4
 Or if you have a machine with the guts you could run it in a VM possibly, although I have not tried this.

edroszcz
Level 2
I guess installing the Management Solution on a virtual machine running Windows Server 2003 R2 could be an option.

Will there be an update to the Management Solution that will work on Windows Server 2008 R2?

We are in the work to upgrade all servers to Windows Server 2008 R2 and to install a new 2003 feels like a step backwards.

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes, my understanding is that there will be support for Windows 2008 at some point although I do not know the timeframe for this.

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi,

BESRM is only available on a W2K3 server 32bits, and thios server will not have DOMAIN CONTROLER function.

Thanks

sorelp
Not applicable
Hi, im about to install BESR 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2, and still geting error "Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution is not supported on Microsoft Windows XP/Vista." So I tryed to install it on my desktop witch is running on W7, and I'm getting the same... please help

Pavel

criley
Employee Accredited
sorelp,

As previsouly mentioned, you can only install BESR-MS 2010 on Windows 2003 32bit.