cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.0.2 - Error EC8F17B7 - 'The semaphore timeout period has expired'

CCPD_Engineer
Not applicable

I've been consistently getting the following error with when running a nightly backup of one of our primary servers over the last week:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Server1 (C:\),  (D:\),  (E:\),  (F:\),  (H:\). Error E0BB0083: Unable to create incremental image. Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot5 cannot read 12288 sectors starting at LBA 285707386. Error EBAB03F1: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Details: 0xE0BB0083
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

In response to this error, I shut down the server and rebooted it in safe mode, and ran Scandisk on all volumes.  It found and corrected some errors.  That night, the backups ran again and I got a different error message that what I'd been receiving previously:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Server1 (C:\),  (D:\),  (E:\),  (F:\),  (H:\). Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot5 cannot read 12288 sectors starting at LBA 285704640. Error EBAB03F1: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Details: 0xE7C3000F
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

I can't seem to find any useful information regarding this particular error message, and I'm not sure what to do about it.  I ran a full scandisk on each volume a second time, and it came up clean.  Can anyone offer me any advice?

Message Edited by CCPD Engineer on 11-20-2008 10:19 AM
1 REPLY 1

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In the advanced options for the job, try checking the "ignore bad sectors" option.

If this creates a successful image, you may consider replacing the drive in order to avoid future issues with the drive, this may be a sign of early disk failure.