cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5.3.31483 FATAL FLAW - Do Not Use!

GregC2
Level 4
I had two machines use Live Update on their BESR 8.5.3 and 8.5.2 installs.
Both received 8.5.3.31483

Both systems no longer work. Upon backing up, the backup stays at 1% indefinitely
Removed the BESR Client in Add/Remove programs. Rebooted
BESR appears again, starts up the client.
BESR is still in Add/Remove
Tried the BESR Uninstall tool and receive this wonderful message:

S:\DATA\Programs\Norton Symantec Veritas\Livestate - Backup Exec System Recove
\Symantec BESR 8\BESR8 Uninstaller>rem The Licensed Software and Documentation
re deemed to be "commercial computer

\Symantec BESR 8\BESR8 Uninstaller>rem software" and "commercial computer soft
re documentation" as defined in FAR

\Symantec BESR 8\BESR8 Uninstaller>rem Sections 12.212 and DFARS Section 227.7
Parse the arguments
Trying to remove "Backup Exec System Recovery" from this system...
Unregister "Backup Exec System Recovery" with LiveUpdate.
Initializing COM
COM initialized successfully
Starting LU COM connection
LU COM connection successful
Successfully created instance of NDScheduler interface
State of ALU Scheduler is enabled
Product unregistration with LU successful
Service stopped.
Could not unistall service not able to find the installation folder.
Press any key to continue . . .

* Attempted Reinstall and now receive this:

install has detected a newer version of this technology To install SBESR 8.5.3.31483 must be removed through add/remove programs

*Used the MS Install Cleanup tool, it removed BESR from the Add/Remove program window but the problems persist.

1. I can no longer remove the product in any way shape or form
2. The product still does not work properly.

For the cost of this product i would not expect this issue.

2 REPLIES 2

GregC2
Level 4
You come here to get some type of assitance with an overly expensive Symantec product and they DEMAND you pay for support.

I have found numerous flaws in the Livestate series. I have informed Symantec Support of these flaws of which they acknowledged them. They NEVER give you any free support even when you spend hours with their crap, bug ridden software to help THEM!

Bravo Symantec. You guys strong arm people into paying for nothing and making them Beta testers.

Richard_FDisk
Level 4
do you have an image that contains the previous version before the update happened?
even if it's over a month old it's better than trying to reinstall everything from scratch.

if  you do have a recent backup
copy off any changed "User files" to another location
and just do a "partition bomb" and restore the system(s) with the image containing the functioning product,
after the restore immediately disable or uninstall the live update portion of the product
and then restore the changed files

if the backup is fairly recent you should be OK as far as windows updates are concerned
if it's over anywhere from 2 weeks to a month or more old, then you have to open automatic updates and
select the "offer updates previously hidden" and it will resend the updates lost during the restore

as far as I'm concerned from the perspective of;
"I manage my own network & PC's and do my own repairs it never sees the shop again after  I take it home"
live update or automatic updates of any type are only useful for things that require updating;
ie. pathcing security holes(windows, IE, etc.), or  AV and IPS(firewall) systems

but functioning programs don't need updating
a functioning backup program in an older version is better than an update that ruins everything
I still have BESR 6.5x desktop edition on my machines
if the update repairs a bad bug that most users encounter then I might consider the update
but if I never encounter the bug on my machine then I don't care I'll use what I have so long as it's working for me

the easiest way to deal with the Live update on a fresh install is to do the custom install and select:
"Live update" [x] this product will not be available

if on the other hand it's already installed then a simple disabling of the "Live Update" service will suffice;
start > run > Services.msc
disable the live update service.

cheers