cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR2010 Question

Rayminette
Level 2

Hello,

We are currently reviewing BESR2010 as a solution for maintaining an offsite image that is updated nightly.  What we are trying to figure out is how exactly it works.  The server that will be image is running SQL Server and has several large databases on it.  Say the database file is like 50GB and we set up a scheduled job to update the image every night, will BESR2010 copy the entire 50GB database file everytime it runs or will it somehow just upload the changes in the file.  We just want to avoid copying a 50GB file over a vpn every night.

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Afaik BESR is doing a block-level copy of the changes made since the last full or incremental backup. Only this changes make up the incremental backups. So I would expect little traffic for the incrementals, but full GB for the full backup.

Rayminette
Level 2

But is this block-level copy re-copying the entire file when changes are made?  I just want to know if there's a 50GB file on the server that's being imaged and its changed between backup jobs, does the whole 50GB file get copied again or does it somehow update the file that is in the image with the changes.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I think no.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Would you please mark this post as solved ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

May I ask you to mark this post as solved ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

OK, so what happened if the server is defragmented regularly ?

Then there will be lots of file that has been moved since the last backup could potentially makes the backup disk size very large ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

ah.. ok, many thanks for your clarification Markus.