cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup halted at 95% > saying "updating history" --- with SBESM 7.0

Danny_ter_Horst
Level 4
On a Windows 2003 r2 server we installed the SBESmanager. From here we control the backups for client systems and save the backups on external USB disks (Lacie). We have 8 systems (different types of Dell computers with Windopws XP) running the SBES 7.0 agent.

From 6 client systems the backup started succesfully, but halted at 95%. It saying that it is "updating history".
At that time the client is very slow (especially starting up the Task Manager + Excel)

I am wondering if anyone else have this behaviour (and hopefully a solution). Otherwise we have to stop again with using this product.

We already made a case at Symantec support (320-058-332)
6 REPLIES 6

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

This is actually the first time I have heard of this particular issue.  Hopefully Symantec support will be able to provide some assistance.

Are all the backups running at the same time, and all storing to the same Lacie drive?

I wonder what might happen if you run just one backup, to observe whether the behavior is different.

Also, have you tried storing the backups to a different (non-Lacie) location, just as a troubleshooting step?

About how much data is being sent over the wire to the Lacie?

Thanks.

Willem_Essensta
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified
Problem has been solved...

Server has been put on forced speed/duplex combinations and it went al through.
Also some problems with respect to HitMan Pro anti SPAM freeware solution. One of the components of HitMan Pro made sure that the process wouldn't go beyond the 5% marker....After uninstalling the Hitman Pro all went well...

Cheers.

Glav
Not applicable
I'm having the exact same problem.  However, I'm running Norton Ghost 12 on a Win XP Pro machine.  Everything used to work just fine.  But several weeks ago, I noticed that LiveUpdate installed a Ghost patch, and ever since all backups get stuck at 95%.  I'm backing up to an external USB device (a 4-drive Drobo) and it hangs after the image has been verified.

The weird thing is that the status dialog reports conflicting information.  On the top part, it's at 95% and the message is "updating history".  But the bottom slider is disabled with a message saying that nothing is running.  When it's stuck in this state,TaskManager shows that VproSvc.exe is pegging the processor.  I've let it run for over 15 hours and it never gets out of this state.

There also seems to be no decent way to get out of this state (even though the top of the status dialog says that it's at 95% and "updating history", the bottom part that says nothing is running and has the cancel button disabled.  I have to restart the machine, and when shutting down, I get a dialog that asks if I want to cancel the current operation - to which I say ok.  Then, once the machine restarts, everything is fine.  The backup is there and I can validate it with no problems (the hang seems to happen after the backup is created and verified).

So... this is a major pain as I now have to restart that box at least 3 times a week to get out of this state.  To date, this is the only place on the web that I've found anyone else complaining of a similar problem.

Any ideas on what I could do about this would be greatly appreciated.

Brian_K
Level 3
Glav, why don't you uninstall and reinstall Ghost. Make sure you don't do that update again.

Danny_ter_Horst
Level 4
The problems we had in the past were not solved by changing the network settings or due to Hitmanpro!.
Incidentaly it looked like it worked on one system, but after testing with more machines we got the same problem back.

With some extra testing we find out that McAfee Host Instrusion Protection (firewall) version 6.1 was the problem. Since we were upgrated the version to 7.0 all problems were solved and finally things are working.

Hopefully this info may usefull for more users.

Best regards

hamelaar
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm currently having the same problem. However, none of the suggestions listed above apply to, or work for me.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!