cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of full disk fails

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

"Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: My Computer Backup.

Warning AC8F1FCC: The type of errors encountered indicate that this hard disk drive is about to fail. It is recommended that this drive be replaced soon. To ignore this error and backup this drive, select "Ignore bad sectors during copy" from the advanced options in the Drive Backup Wizard.

Warning A7C30019: The type of errors encountered indicate that this hard disk drive is about to fail. It is recommended that this drive be replaced soon. To ignore this error and backup this drive, select the ignore bad sectors option. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)"

I have determined that the failure is due to errors on one of the partitions on my hard drive. SR 2013 records this partition as Local Disk0-5.  It is 450MB and SR 2013 recommends including it in the backup.  I tried set the "ignore bad sectors" flag but the program freezes the computer upon processing that partition and I have to force a shutdown.  When I exclude this partition from backup everything works fine.  I have run the PartInfo program and it finds no errors.  I ran other utilities that examine disk partitions and they find no errors.  Windows 10 Computer Management/Disk Management declares that the partition is "Healthy".  I have tried trial versions of two other backup utilities.  EaseUS TODO also crashes.  Macrium Reflect does not crash or indicate any error but examination of the backup file shows that this partition is listed in the items recorded but contains no data.  I've run all available Seagate tests (one all-nighter) and they find nothing wrong.  I don't want to replace the drive and the hassle of rebuilding it since my last solid backup was over 2 months ago.

If anyone has any insights to this I sure would appreciate hearing them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

I added the problem partition back into the job and last night it fully backed up the My Computer.  Microsoft Windows update KB3150513 installed on 5/31/2017.  Possibly related?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited

@MikeInPoulsbo

You could try and 'simulate' a backup using DiskShadow to see if this works or not (it may give some clues):

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000097851

Failing that, we would need to review the logs to understand what is going on here. I am out of office next week, so if logs need looking at, I won't be able to do that until I return to work.

My Windows 10 system does not respond to a diskshadow command. Do I need to download it?

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

I should add that SR 2013 did produce incremental backups after failing to do two monthly backups.  They included Local0-5 and looked OK when I examined them.

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

I added the problem partition back into the job and last night it fully backed up the My Computer.  Microsoft Windows update KB3150513 installed on 5/31/2017.  Possibly related?