Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit of virtual edition of system recovery 2011

Letec_AG
Level 2
Partner

Hi

I've got a server2008R2 with hyper-v installed. At the moment there are 2 virtual machins running server 2008R2.

Now i have a licence of system recovery 2011 virtual edition from the sales department of our company to use.

they said i should install it on the host to make a backup of the two virtual maschines. The custumer asked us, if there is the possibiliy to make a granular restore of the files inside in the virtual maschine.

I found a usefull work around for that (mounting the v2i-File and den mounting the vhd in the host), but it isn't the nice way of doing it.

What is the idea of the virtual edition? (I could do the same thing with a normal licence)
Do i need to install system recovery 2011 inside the virtual maschine?

Thanks for your reply.

Lukas

1 REPLY 1

criley
Employee Accredited

The virtual edition is just a cost-effective way of protecting your VMs in ESX/Hyper-V environments - you can install on an unlimited number of VMs per host.

If you want the ability to do granular restores of the files inside the VMs, you have to install system recovery inside each VM and back them up individually (in the same way you would with a physical server).

Hope that helps.