cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biggest Issue with BESR 2010

msandlin
Level 2
I purchased this product to load on one of my critical servers and everything worked as easy and simple as the web casts said but with one major flaw. I noticed that my backups stopped working so I called into Symantec to investigate and what  we found was a major concern. In order for the product to run you have to keep a 24% of your drive free at all times in order for this product to function, even though the data is being stored to a external drive or a NAS box or whatever the program creates a temp folder to compile the snapshot and once its done it vaults the data to the final storage place. I find this to be a major concern because alot of servers do not leave the C drive with alot of room for this. This information is not listed in any paperwork and the tier 2 support found a document explaining that you need to keep 24% free . The document number is 315812 that explains why my backups would not work, it doesnt matter how much room you have where the data is going but you have to have 24% free on the c drive where the BESR product is loaded. This product worked great and I was able to restore my server to a different make and model server in little time but because of this issue I have to look at different products. I have returned the software to my vendor and lookign for something different, anyone have any suggestions??????
2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6
Is it really a Symantec issue?
BESR uses VSS to make it's snapshots.  Without it, it wouldnt be able to grab open files, the system state, etc.

VSS is controlled and managed by Windows and owned by Microsoft.  It requires a minimum about of free space to create a VSS snap, let along free idle disk time.  

The article you mentioned even goes into detail that you can make a backup with less space, as 24% is NOT required, but there needs to be enough contiguous space to store the snapshot.  Thus the recommendation to defrag often.

msandlin
Level 2
I worked with Symantec on the issue for 4 days and this was the issue that we have found. I would like for someone to prove me wrong but between me and Symantec we could not make this happen and the only way was to increase my C drive space...