cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain this product to me?

BPK63
Level 3

I've talked to Symantec reps and read all the pdf files I can find, watched the webinar.  I can't seem to get the simple answers.  They say you can create a recovery point and make an iso cd to boot from.  Where is the data stored and whats on that recovery cd?  If I have a 200 gig server, obviously all that info is not on one cd . Can somebody please explain to me exactly how this product works in plain English?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

galbraithr
Level 3

Hi,

I am no expert but this is my understanding and how I use it in my job function.

Create a recovery point  to a network share, use your boot cd to load the BESR GUI that allows you to map a network drive and restore the recovery point from your network location. This is how we do it & the downloadable iso does include alot of drivers for most server platforms already, we are a HP shop with some Dell workstations.

Hope this helps

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello,

As a high-level overview, Backup Exec System Recovery creates volume-level backup objects called recovery points (stored in .v2i or .iv2i format).  These recovery points represent full replicas of the volume(s) from which they are captured.  They can be stored to any disk location, whether it be a local (e.g. D:\backups), optical media (e.g. CD-R/DVD-R/Blue-ray), a direct-attached device (e.g. USB drive), or network location (e.g. \\server\share).

Each volume that is backed up will be represented by a separate recovery point.  For example, if I create a backup job that protects my C:\ and D:\ volumes, the result will be two files, C_Drive.v2i and a D_Drive.v2i (filenames are customizable).

Backup Exec System Recovery supports creating both full and incremental backups.  When the incremental backup method is selected, the first backup will be a 'full' or 'base' backup, and each time thereafter only incremental changes to the volume are captured.  Backup jobs can be set to run according to a user defined schedule, and old backups can be automatically removed according to user defined settings, preventing backup storage from filling up with old, perhaps expired backup data.  Things such as alerting policies and notifications are also fully supported.

When it comes to calculating the potential size of recovery points, it's important to understand that only 'used' space on each volume is protected.  Unused or empty space is ignored.  For example, if Backup Exec System Recovery was used to protect a C:\ volume, and the C:\ volume was 10 GB in total size but only contained 5 GB of actual data, the initial 'base' recovery point would be approximately 5 GB in size.  Compression is also supported (none, standard, medium, and high) for additional space savings.

Recovery points can also be encrypted (128-bit, 192-bit, and 256-bit encryption is supported).

Most major Microsoft applications are supported, including (the Software Compatibility List will have the exhaustive list of supported platforms and applications):

• Active Directory
  • Exchange
  • SQL
  • SharePoint

Backup Exec System Recovery interacts with Microsoft's Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), according to Microsofts best practices, to properly prepare Windows and supported applications (such as those mentioned above) for backup.

For manual, full system recovery operations (including bare metal recovery and recovery to dissimilar hardware), you use the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD).  By default, the recovery disk comes as a CD-ROM or as an ISO file that can be burned to CD.  The SRD contains a full operating system upon which the recovery wizards are based, and can be used to boot the system on which a recovery operation needs to be performed (e.g. original system, new system with different hardware configuration, etc).

The SRD contains full networking support (allowing the restore of recovery points stored at a network location), including the ability to adjust network speed and IP settings.  It also contains troubleshooting utilities, and other features that make it a powerful tool.

The SRD also contains the Symantec pcAnywhere thin host, which can be used with a full copy of pcAnywhere to perform remotely-controlled recovery operations (e.g. at a remote office location with no technical IT staff).

It's possible to move the SRD to alternate boot media, such as a USB drive or even a USB key (thumb drive) if preferred.

Recovery points can be used for more than just full system recovery.  They can be:

• Converted to virtual format (VMware or Microsoft), either manually or on a regular schedule
  • Easily browsed or searched for individual file or folder recovery when full system recovery is not necessary
  • Split into smaller file chunks
  • Combined into a single file
  • Mounted and viewed as a local drive in Windows Explorer

Other product options are also available, including:

• Centralized management
  • Granular database recovery (Exchange and SharePoint)

Hope this helps.

Thanks.