cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize BESR

Piero
Level 2

Hi,

We are evaluating BESR to create hardware independent images in our company, we would like to use this software to install new computers.

I know that BESR is designed for backup and disaster recovery, but it seems great also to replace the standard cloning software sysprep+ghost

What I see during the recovery phase is something very similar to the sysprep minisetup, now I'm wondering if there is any way to customize it. We need to define during this phase the computer name, regional settings, domain join... + regenerate the sid.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Backup Exec System Recovery, as you had stated, is designed to be use as a disaster recovery solution and though this product has many characteristics similar to that of a cloning software, at this time, it was not designed to be one and so in that regards Symantec Technical support can not assist in the use of this product, Backup Exec System Recovery, for cloning purposes.

With that being said, Backup Exec System Recovery does invoke Windows PnP and the mini-setup wizards as does Sysprep. Once the recovery image has been laid down and the final portion of the retargeting process has been processed these wizards are set to start upon next reboot. The launch of these wizards is to finish up the migration of a recovery point image from one hardware to a dissimilar one. The sysprep.inf file,that dictates how the mini-setup wizard is to function is added during this retargeting process. It is located in the newly restored c:\sysprep sub-folder; a reboot back into the recovery environment may be needed to properly access this file.

On occasion we need to access this file, for troubleshooting purposes of specific hardware not properly passing the PnP detection that results in the mini-setup wizard never to be reached in the migration process. It is at this point, we advise customers to open a command prompt window from the Analyzed > Open command shell, type ‘notepad’ so to edit this sysprep.inf file accordingly to the type of PnP issue they are having. Though, Symantec Technical support can not assist you in the use of this product for cloning I hope the description above of the retargeting process will assist in your imaging needs.

Piero
Level 2

Hi David,

Many thanks for your answer, it is the information I was searching for! If we are able to customize the sysprep.inf created by BESR we could use it for cloning. I understand that we can't obtain support from Symantec in this matter but I'm sure that sooner or later Symantec will integrate better BESR (or GHOST) with the sysprep. In the meantime we will proceed the testing phase using this "home made" solution.

Thanks once again!