cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add custom drivers to my Livestate Recovery Desktop CD

Dups
Level 3
Here is the scenerio. I am using Livestate Recovery Desktop 6.0.1

We use this CD to recover images onto new workstations that we receive. Lately, with the newer Dell systems that we receive, we are missing some drivers. Mainly it was the network drivers that were missing. The first time this problem occured we simply went to Dell's website, downloaded the drivers, took the inf files and put them in I386\INF folder of the LRD cd, we also put the sys files into the \I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder of the LRD cd. With these additional drivers in those folders we were able to boot up with the LRD cd and recover the image off the network.

However, we have run into a problem with Dell's Optiplex 755 workstations. First off it LRD was unable to find the controller drivers for the SATA drive. So it would blue screen. Fine we thought, we will simply add the drivers in the \I386\INF and \I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folders like we did for other systems that were missing the drivers. This did not work.  The solution we found was to F6 and load the drivers off a diskette. So that was resolved.

However, now we are missing the network card drivers. We proceeded with the same steps we used to do... add the drivers in the \I386\INF and \I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folders. However, this is not working. LRD is still unable to install the proper drivers for the NIC.  The NIC is simply an onboard NIC that Dell has the drivers for on their website.

So, what I would like to know are the following questions.

Am I missing certain files when adding the drivers manually to the CD? Should I be adding more than the INF and SYS files?

Is there another way of providing missing drivers to recover an image?

I am subscribing to this thread so I should answer to any reply in a timely fashion.

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Brian_K
Level 3
Dups,

This is not an "official" technique but it works with Ghost CDs. Worth trying?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1165214368

Dups
Level 3
I will give it a try and let you know the results. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Dups
Level 3
Well, I gave it a try but I am getting an error when trying to create the ISO.

For some reason I am unable to copy some files from my Recovery Disk folder(a copy of the CD) to the pebuilder folder. Too many of those errors occured so it stopped the creation of the ISO.

I have admin rights, the folder was set to read only but even after changing that it still isnt working. I have all the permissions needed to copy files from the folder. 

Weird... I'll look into it further.

Dups
Level 3
Well, I am off for the weekend. I will be in on Monday.

Brian_K
Level 3
To create a BartPE CD.....

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

"Requirements to build:
  1. The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
    Supported Windows versions are:
    • Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
    • Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
    • Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
    • Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    • Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
  2. PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
  3. CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD."

Message Edited by Brian K on 01-12-2008 12:16 AM

Dups
Level 3
I have all the requirements listed above.

I checked to see if the files were compressed or encrypted. They are not. 

I read somewhere that a virusscanner might be blocking the copy. So I disabled my McAfeee. Still get the errors.

Someone suggested running the program in safemode. Tried it... still get the same errors.

I do have admin rights.

I am running out of ideas :)

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Dups,

You will need to get a custom CD created with the drivers included.  Essentially there are 3 options available.

1. The supported option is to email NIC_Drivers@symantec.com and request a custom ISO.
- Provide Make and Model of machine and a system.nfo file (System Information).
- Description of hardware adding to ISO and links to driver files
- Contact information: Email and phone
- Exact version of software currently used (ie LSR Adv Svr 6.0.1)
2. Download the latest BESR 7.0.3 SRD Only ISO.  Burn this to CD and use to restore.  Compatibility includes images created with versions back to LiveState Recovery 3.x

3. Manually add the files to the LSR ISO image.  This is not supported and should any issues be experienced, Symantec Support would be unable to assist.  It is not recommended to create this custom ISO unless you have experience and are comfortable with using ISO Tools and WinPE.

for adding storage drivers to a Windows PE distribution, create a new directory under i386\System32\Drivers, copy the entire driver package to the new directory, then edit WinPeOem.sif to point to the new driver directory. For details about using this method to add storage drivers, refer to the WINPE.CHM help file included in the Windows PE OPK.

The major drawback of adding storage drivers this way is that every driver listed in WinPeOem.sif is force loaded. This consumes system resources and, when too many drivers are force loaded, causes “STOP” messages (i.e. “Blue Screen of Death”).

Irv420
Not applicable
Rich,
I have the same issue with LiveState System Recover Advanced Server 6.0 CD. I just received a new shipment of HP Proliant servers and I can't use the LiveState CD as it doesn't have the new NIC drivers  on the CD.

Where can I download the latest BESR 7.0.3 SRD Only ISO from?

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Dups
Level 3
Rich L, you are correct I emailed them and I was sent the ISO.