Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental BU will not mount / can not be explored

BMS
Level 4
L.S.

When copying a BU-set, I ran into the following issue:
I've copied only the first (parent-file) and last incremental file of a BU-set to an alternate location (portable HD). When trying to explore these files, the parentfile kan be openend/browsed, however, the last incremental file cannot. It gives a error message, stating the file cannot be openend because the previous file is not there (which is correct).
I find this strange, because if I perform a clean up action through "manage backup destinations", BESR proposes to preserve the first and last file of a backupset. I did not actually try this so far, but does any one know if the last file can be opened/browsed when performing a cleanup like this?

thnx, cheers, BS
3 REPLIES 3

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Hi BMS,

A backup image must have all segments of the image file, Baseline and all incrementals.  If any incremental is missing, no incremental following will restore.

The cleanup process should prompt to save the last Backupset (Baseline and all incrementals).  If only the first and last file are saved, the last file would not be useable for recovery.

BMS
Level 4
Hi Rich , thnx for the response, but what is this about then?

(quote from user manual):

Deleting recovery points within a set

A recovery point set can contain multiple recovery points created over time that

you can delete to reclaim storage space.

The Delete Points option lets you delete all of the recovery points created between

the first recovery point and last recovery point in the set.

You can manually select which recovery points to remove, if you know which

recovery points that you want to keep within a set.

To delete recovery points within a set

1 On the Tools page, click Manage Backup Destination.

2 Select the recovery point set that you want to delete, and then click Delete.

3 Do one of the following:

To automatically delete all but the first and last recovery point in the set,

click Automatic.

To manually select which recovery points in the set to delete, click Manual,

and then select the recovery points you want to delete.

To delete all the recovery points in the set you selected, click Delete all

recovery points in the set.

4 Click OK.

Message Edited by BMS on 12-18-2007 02:49 AM

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
BMS,

A 'Recovery Point' refers to the Baseline and Incrementals, not just the Incrementals.  If Incrementals between the Baseline and last Incremental are deleted, only the Baseline would be valid.  The last incremental needs all of the preceding Incrementals, and the Baseline, to rebuild the the data.

Recovery Point Set is one or more Recovery Points.
Recovery Point is a Baseline or Baseline and Incrementals.

Cheers,
Rich L