Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Error with BESR 7.03 - Need help

West
Level 3
Partner
Hey guys,
I've notice the following error pop up on a few of our clients servers that i havn't seen before.
All servers are running version 7.0.3 - most on Win2k3 SBS servers.

Time of Alert: 2/28/2008 10:06:37 PM
Event Log: Application
Event Source: Backup Exec System Recovery
Event ID: 100
Severity: 1
Details: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of Data (E:\),  (C:\), Cache (D:\). Error EBAB001A: An unknown exception has occurred at .\DiscoI.cpp 279.

- Once this is received i check the server and the services are all running fine, destination reachable adn writable, and a manual test job works!?
- HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THIS ERROR?
- And please don't tell me to upgrade to version 8 because that may not be an option for a while!

3 REPLIES 3

Chad_C
Not applicable
I too am having  the same problem.
SBS2003 SP2
BESR 7.03
Backing up to an external USB drive.

I will get this error:
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of  (C:\). Error EBAB001A: An unknown exception has occurred at .\DiscoI.cpp 279.
Details: 0xEBAB001A
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

then at the next scheduled backup i will get:
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of  (C:\). Error EC8F1C25: bad allocation
Details: Unspecified error

I will get the second error every night until the server is restarted.
After the restart the backup will run fine for several days to a few weeks.
Then the cycle begins again.

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Here is the document related to this issue: http://support.veritas.com/docs/292916

As noted in the document, Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0.3 and Backup Exec System Recovery 8.0.1 should both resolve this issue.
I do see that the installed version is BESR 7.0.3 on SBS2003.  I have often seen this with upgrades from previous 7.0 versions.  I would recommend a complete uninstall and reinstall of BESR 7.0.3.  Uninstall using Add/Remove Programs (suppress reboot) then use Removal Tool.  Reboot and install fresh.

Good luck,
Rich L

JM_Joyce
Level 3
I've tried the suggestion and completely removed 7.03 and then done a fresh install.

Unfortunately this didn't help as I still intermittently get the 'bad allocation' error.  The latest Live Update patches have been applied.  If I stop and restart the service it then runs fine for a while and then gets the error again.

Any further suggestions welcome,