cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Edition Best Practises?

Paul_Defiglio
Level 4
Hi!

I have just purchased Backup Exec 2010 Server Edition after a brief trial.  This is for use with an Exchange Server 2003 (also a DC) on Windows Server 2003.
I aim to use it as a DR solution and one that will complement existing tape backups – or more to the point to restore the server image to alternative hardware (I will backup to an external USB drive).

1. Is there any recommended frequency to scheduling the exchange server backup - weekly, each two weeks etc.
  2. Are there any pre-requisites for Exchange backups.
  3. A trial to different hardware worked but Should I risk installing an image back to the SAME live server to test the process on same hardware (or is that something best left to a DR scenario)???
Many thanks inadanced.

Paul
2 REPLIES 2

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you referring to Backup Exec or Backup Exec System Recovery?

In either case, testing in a live environment is typically a bad idea. Create a virtual machine or use a separate environment for testing, that way your data is safe even if everything goes south.

With System Recovery there are no additional licenses or requirements for backing up an Exchange server. For Backup Exec if you are backing up a 2007 Exchange server, the media server (server with Backup Exec installed) must have Microsoft Exchange Management Tools installed and the same version as the Exchange server as well as MAPI 1.2.1.

Scheduling is up to the individual, but in most situations it is possible to perform nightly backups with either product.

Paul_Defiglio
Level 4
Hi Jon_R

Yeah it is System Recovery I am refering to - thanks for the heads up.

As we use veritas backup exec to backup the exchange information store daily I was wondering if we did say a fortnight image (for example) of the email server with system recovery (purely for DR reasons) what impact this would have if any when it comes to restoring via system recovery.

We  purchased System recovery to enable a complete restore to different hardware without having to manually restore.

Thanks

Paul