cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Crashes after installation of BESRv8

Doug_Laskosky
Level 4
Partner

After installation of BESRv8 on a SBS2003r2 server, the VSS crashes with an event 12298 (Volume Shadow Copy Service error); and event 8 (The flush and hold write operation timed out); I am running SEPv11 and BEWSv12 which had been running without any problems until the BESRv8 was installed.

3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
If you have not already done so please check out the following link:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830575/en-us If CPS is installed on this machine, see if removing it allows you to correctly take a backup without getting the VSS error with BESR. Check  Dcomcnfg > component services > computers, >my computer properties: Check default properties (‘enable’, ‘connect’ & ‘Identify’ for values) ( and COM security Edit and limits both have the admin account use to login to the BESR console of this system. In one case, we seen the error when backing up to a corrupted  network share, they move all data out of share, delete share, create new share, and move all data back into the new share for BESR to use.

Doug_Laskosky
Level 4
Partner

Removal of BESRv8 allows the VSS in BEWS to take snapshot and perform backup. The error occured after installing BESRv8 onto the machine and prior to configuring any backups in BESRv8. I will check into the referenced KB.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
In BEWS v12 if you are using it to backup an entire system that also contains BESR, be sure to use the AOFO option and to have it set to use the Microsoft VSS provider since it may incorrectly use BESR resulting in it not being able to successsfully backup such selection items like shadow copy and system state of that client.