cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a bootable USB version of the SRD

jjh
Level 3
Has anybody found a way to create a bootable USB of the Syamntec Recovery Disk?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AJT
Level 6

-        Place your USB Flash Drive into the PC

-        Boot to the BESR 8.0 SRD CD

-        Run diskpart

-        Identify the disk number for your USB Flash Drive, type “List Disk”

-        Select the disk number for your USB Flash Drive, type “Select Disk #” (enter the disk number found above). *Ensure you’ve selected the correct disk # before continuing!

-        Type “Clean”

-        Type “Create partition primary”

-        Type “Select partition 1”

-        Type “Active”

-        Type “Format fs=fat32”

-        Type “Assign”

-        Type “Exit”

-        Copy all the files from the BESR 8.0 CD to your USB Flash Drive keeping folders paths intact.

-        Enter your PC’s boot menu and select your USB Flash Drive to boot to. If you do not see an entry for your USB Flash Drive, ensure it is enabled for boot in your PC’s BIOS. Most older PC’s do not support booting from USB.

I’ve only tried this on USB Flash Drives from Lexar and SanDisk.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AJT
Level 6

-        Place your USB Flash Drive into the PC

-        Boot to the BESR 8.0 SRD CD

-        Run diskpart

-        Identify the disk number for your USB Flash Drive, type “List Disk”

-        Select the disk number for your USB Flash Drive, type “Select Disk #” (enter the disk number found above). *Ensure you’ve selected the correct disk # before continuing!

-        Type “Clean”

-        Type “Create partition primary”

-        Type “Select partition 1”

-        Type “Active”

-        Type “Format fs=fat32”

-        Type “Assign”

-        Type “Exit”

-        Copy all the files from the BESR 8.0 CD to your USB Flash Drive keeping folders paths intact.

-        Enter your PC’s boot menu and select your USB Flash Drive to boot to. If you do not see an entry for your USB Flash Drive, ensure it is enabled for boot in your PC’s BIOS. Most older PC’s do not support booting from USB.

I’ve only tried this on USB Flash Drives from Lexar and SanDisk.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Though Symantec technical support, at this time, does not support a USB memory stick or hard disk drive as a boot medium for its recovery environment  Backup Exec System recovery images, with older versions at least, it was possible to do as such. If you wish to pursue such course for your testing environment you may want to look at both the Bart's Preinstalled Environment (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) and Windows PE 2.0 for Windows Vista Overview http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905120.aspx Since the change to a VISTA based Windows PE environment that BESR has utilized has changed the way how previously you can accomplish this task.

jjh
Level 3
Thank you that worked fine on a Kingston 8GB USB.

vb
Level 3

I successfully created it on Kingston 2GB, on Sandisk 2GB but no matter what I do I cannot make it appear on Boot Menu when I use Kingston Datatraveler 4GB.

What am I missing, what should I be looking for?

Vladimir

AJT
Level 6
Try formatting the USB to NTFS