cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dr file copy

naturalbb
Level 4

Hello,

I read the documentation and I have a queastion about the DR files :)

I run the systemstate backup every friday, new .dr files will be created, with this files i can do a disaster recovery and the file "says" you must have this tape...
Monday there is a differential backup (other tape) of my data only and there is a new dr file created and overwrite the dr file from friday.
What happend when i forgot to backup the dr files from friday when i will do a disaster recovery.
Can i use the dr files created on monday also for this disaster backup. I think not?
That's maybe a problem because when i not copy the dr file on time then i have a problem with disater restore??

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

EdT
Level 6
Each incremental backup stores a copy of all the files that have changed since the last incremental backup.
So if your Friday backup has files a, b and c on it and your Monday backup has files d, e and f on it, then losing your Friday backup means that you have lost the changes made to files a,b and c during Friday.

If, on the other hand, your Friday backup has files a,b and c on it, and your Monday backup has files a,b and c also, then your DR should be OK, as your Monday backup has the latest versions of files a,b and c  and the lost information from Friday is of no consequence.

In reality, there are probably many files that are present in both incremental backups and also many files that are unique to each incremental backup, so in practice, losing one of the daily backups will inevitably lead to a loss of the latest versions of some changed files. Consequently, you should consider running a full backup as soon as possible to get back to a having a full record of all your files at their current revision level.

naturalbb
Level 4
Thanks for your reply but what i mean is about the DR files.
I only make one systemstate backup er week. So there are dr files what i need to do a disaster restore.
on working days i make only backups of my own data (so no system state).
The problem is that he always will overwrite the dr files. So when there are dr files created on friday, the dr files of only my data will overwrite my dr files to do a disaster recovery.
How can i fix that? for now i must copy the dr files to another location before the backup of only my data is running, otherwise i have no dr files from friday (disaster recovery)

naturalbb
Level 4
Do you know what i mean???