Forum Discussion

Sean_C_
Level 3
14 years ago

NetBackup 7 and PDDO

Hi guys,

Just looking for clarification that I have understood this correctly: 

I have a Netbackup 5000 appliance that I want to use as a disk pool in my current Netbackup 7 environment. I have read through the NBU PureDisk Deduplication Option Guide from which I gather I am going to have to go through the process of installing the PDDO plugin on a Netbackup media server to enable it to write Netbackup backups to the PureDisk storage pool.

Have I understood this correctly?

• Hi Sean,

The plugin for PDDO is bundled with NetBackup 7.x (7.0, 7.0.1 and 7.1). No installation step here.

If you are using NetBackup 5000 appliance with NetBackup 6.5.x, then you do need to download and install the plugin.

11 Replies

• Not quite correct AbdulRasheed.

If your running NBU 7.x on AIX or HP-UX you will need to install the PD plugin from the SPA's main www page.

If you do, be careful if you enable media server compression in your pd.conf file. If your PD is 6.6.1.x your AIX or HP-UX media server will also be running 6.6.1.2 of the PD plugin. 6.6.1 uses a new type of compression engine. So if the backup goes to AIX/HP-UX I have a feeling your other media servers (linux,windows) would not be able to handle the restore as it's been compressed in a way they don't know about. Linux/Windows NBU 7 report they are running PD 6.6.0.x..

I've asked symantec techs about this and they say "oh.. that's a good point, i don't know"

Symantec, please consolidate the version of PD running on the PDDO servers, media servers and clients running client side dedupe!!!

Have fun if you enable client side dedupe then get an EEB to fix a puredisk issue... you have to manually install it on ALL clients and media servers... by hand... Currently we are "Rock Solid" version SEVEN. It's like a Rocky movie!