cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xE0008516...Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them

bvisalle
Not applicable
Hi all

We have Backup Exec 10d running on Win Server 2003 standard (SERVERDB)

when we back up every night we get "completed with exceptions"...checking the logs we have 2 seperate errors:

error 1:

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVER2\D:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
VSS Snapshot error. A Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot is already running on the target computer. Only one snapshot can run at a time.  Try running the job later.

we run the BackupExec on SERVERDB

after checking these forums and so forth...what i found to be the most logic is in the one forum, it says to check the vssadmin list which returned no errors. then it said to make sure the VSS service wasnt running on the target computer (SERVER2) and it was set to manual. i checked on SERVER2 and it was set to manual, but was running. i stopped the service and ran again last nite and got an error

Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error: "Catastrophic failure". To make sure that the VSS is not disabled and can be started, click Control Panel, and then click Administrative Tools. Open the Services, and start Volume Shadow Copy. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details

...so today i started it again...do i want this running on SERVER2 before the backup starts or do I want it stopped before the backup runs?

error 2:

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVERDC\Travelers". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVERDC\Stuff". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVERDC\Adobe". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVERDC\Scan". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVERDC\FAI_Pics". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVERDC\SYSVOL". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed

...after researching that, i found some forums that all pointed to Exchange...the problem with that is we are not running Exchange on that server (SERVERDC)

everything else seems to backup fine

...if anyone could point me in any direction here, it would be great!!!!
1 REPLY 1

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Please install the VSS Rollup Patch : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 (REBOOT REQUIRED) on \\SERVERDC