cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xe00084f4 - An Unknown error has occured.

David_Waters_2
Level 3
I am getting this error when backing up to tape even though a test run works fine. I upgraded the server to 10d but still get the same error.

The fix on the support site states that this error only occurs on backup to disk but I am backing up to tape. I have also ensured that I am using a domain account for all services.

Any ideas???
10 REPLIES 10

David_Waters_2
Level 3
Further to the previous post this is in the log and may give one of you a pointer as to what is going wrong

Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to query entity information.
Error reported:
Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument.
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

Davide_Russo
Level 4
I have the same error on a new installation from Symantec Backup Exec 10.d Rev. 5629

This is the error:
Sichern- SERVER\BKUPEXEC AOFO: Initialisierung fehlgeschlagen: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option verwendet: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Fehler im Schnappschuß-Provider (0xE00084AF): Das Verzeichnis bzw. die Datei wurde nicht gefunden, oder der Zugriff ist nicht möglich.
Ausführliche Angaben finden Sie in der Windows-Ereignisanzeige.

Is it better when i use the Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider at the place of the Microsoft VSS?

Davide

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Have you seen this technote:http://support.veritas.com/docs/276639
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

David_Waters_2
Level 3
Yes I did read the support document hence my second para in the first message.

Davide_Russo
Level 4
I make the backup also on a tape (HP Surestore DAT72) and not on the disk, and i have created a new domain logon account and delegate the right Exchange Full Admin und all other Administrator rights.

I can backup all the files and the exchange mailboxes but not the information store. He bring always the same error 0xe00084af and the reference to V-79-57344-33967.

Is it a bug of the new version 10d?

D. Russo

Davide_Russo
Level 4
I have found the solution to my problem, the problem is indicated in following technotes:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275234
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q838183

Small Business Server 2003 and the new Snapshottechnology on Backup Exec 10.0/10d was the problem on the information store....

D. Russo

David_Waters_2
Level 3
Checked out D. Russo's comments and followed up on the articles but nothing there helps me with my problem. Pity Veritas (whoops, Symantec) tech support has opted out.

David_Waters_2
Level 3
Yes I did see it and if you had read my initial post you would have realised that.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following technote for hardware related issue. Check if there are any eventids in the system and application event logs.

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dan_Wakeman
Level 4
This is how I finally fixed the same error after a lot of effort and failed attempts.

Test your tape drive to be sure it works outside of Backup Exec.  I had an HP drive.  Go to hp.com/go/tape. Find the link under "value added software" for "Library and Tape Tools", click that link, download the software. L&TT is a free diagnostic tool for HP tape drives and libraries.  If it works, the problem is within Backup Exec. (I was using 12.5 with the very latest drivers (literally posted this week). 
  1. Disable the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click on it)
  2. Delete the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click again, need to disable first) This must be done in Backup Exec!  Doing the same in Windows Device Manager and rebooting did not fix the problem.
  3. Stop all the Backup Exec services (I did this with services manager & confirmed in Windows Services)
  4. Start all the Backup Exec services
  5. The tape drive should be re-detected.

Dan