cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.

Dirk_Schietsch
Level 2
We use BackupExec 10.1 Rev 5629 to Backup three Servers.
On one of the Servers (Windows 2003 Server) we got Exchange 2003 Server running and Backup the Exchange Public Folders and Mailboxes as well as some Filesystem-Items and the Systemstate.

Everything went well for months but suddenly since a few days ago the Backup fails with the Error-Message

0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred."

Then under Errors we get the following:

Errors

Backup- \\HERMES\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes V-79-57344-65072 - The Exchange Server is not responding. Backup set canceled.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\HERMES\Hermes.log". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
The network connection failed during the snapshot. Check the network, and then run the job again.
V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\HERMES\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
The network connection failed during the snapshot. Check the network, and then run the job again.
V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\HERMES\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

We have already consulted the Veritas Support-Knowledgebase about those Errros but none of the Solutions applied to us. Neither do we have a Drive M (Exchange)

We also already installed the Patch 10.1.5629 (10d) Hotfix 24 on all Servers but that did not help neither.

What can we do ?
9 REPLIES 9

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- We suggest you to following the steps to resolve your issue:

1)Please check if the Remote agent has been installed correctly on the remote system and its version is same as Backup Exec version(9.1).If not then reinstall the remote agent.

2)Add the IP address and Host name of the Remote server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on media server and IP address and Host name of the Media server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on Remote Server. To do this, you will need to locate the lmhosts.sam file and edit it with notepad. Add the target servers name to bottom of the file, and save. This might require a reboot for it to get loaded in to the system.

3)Please check if the Port 10000, which is the default port used by NDMP(Network Data Management Protocol) is not used by any other application. If it is used by another application, please follow the steps given in the following Technote:

TITLE: How to change the port that NDMP uses in VERITAS Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255498.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Dirk_Schietsch
Level 2
Thank you for your reply. But I got questions.

�n my request I mentioned that we use Backup Exec 10.1 but you are talking about 9.1 in your Reply. Is that intendet and thus should we install the BackupExec 9.1 Remote Agent instead of the one which came with the 10.1 Version ?

The 10.1 Remote Agent is installed correctly. Everything work working for weeks and then suddenly not any longer. I have uninstalled and re-installed the Remote-Agent on the Remote Server already.

The Port 10000 ist NOT used by anything else than Backup Exec on the Media AND the Remote Server. I did check that out.

The Backup Exec Media Server CAN CONNECT to the RemoteServer for example when I create a new Backup Job. I n the Selections Window I can browse the Remote-Server Ressources and Exchange Mailboxes. So Basically the Communication seems to work.

But I get the Error after running the nightly BackupJob.

Also by doing a "manual" Backup (on normal business hours) Backup Job and watching it running I noticed that the Backup of the Exchange Mailboxes for example DO happen.. After the Backup of the Exchange Mailboxes is through, the Backup-Jobs seems to be hanging. So it seems the Communication Error happens after the actual Backup of the Ressources.

Dirk_Schietsch_
Level 2
Do I get another Reply from Symantec here maybe ?. Someday ?

I found out another maybe helpful detail. I switched on debug-loggin on both the Media Server and the Remote-Server but that DID not help much.

But I noticed something different. From the Exchange Server I want to Backup I want to backup the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" AND "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders"

The Mailboxes are to be backed up BEFORE the Public Folders. The Mailbox-Backup runs without any Problems and backs up ALL of the Mailboxes.
But then the Public Folder Backup does NOT work / start. In the Debug-Log I can see that the Backup-Sets starts but then nothing happens (not in the Backup-Monitor nor in the Debug-Log).

I will now do a Backup Job with SWITCHED Order (Public Folders first, and after that the Mailboxes). I wonder what will happen.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

What option have you selected under Tools -->Options-->Network
under Standardnetwork ?

Kindly refer the following Document:

How to enable support for "Restrict Anonymous" when using Backup Exec 8.6 and 9.x for Windows Servers.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Nun versuchen Sie bitte den Auftrag neu zu starten.

Dirk_Schietsch_
Level 2
I am really disappointed by the Symantec Support which is offered here.

First you get Help like ... Read this Document and try this. Great

Then when you put in more Information you get ignored for days.

Then when you get a new Reply its as useless as it can be as it does not apply to your Problem. I got Problem with an Exchange 2003 Server and Backup Exec 10.1.

But I get solutions for Exchange 2000 and Backup Exec 8.x / 9.x.

While researching this Problem I noticed that I am not the only one with that Problem and EVERYONE gets that kind of phony Solutions from Symantec. This is really really crap.

In the meanwhile I solved the Problem by myself. It took me some hours to debug the system, read logfiles, test different Situations and then finally find the Solutions to get things running again as I want it and not with some crazy and unacceptable workaround (run two jobs, disable OpenFileOption, Run at a different time of day. Reduce the Security Settings...)

Thank you for NOTHING Symantec Support.!!!

If anyone got the same Problems and would like a hint from me what to you then please contact me.. I am always willing to help others out.

But I am not willing to provide the Solution to Symantec who did do nothing to solve my Problem.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Thank you for the Update...

- It seems that the Problem is solved. We will close the post...

Thanks.

David_Lysaght
Not applicable
Hi Dirk
I am currently having the same problem that you were having, the error I am getting is

Backup- \\*******\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.

could you give me any ideas of how this is fixable

rgds

Dave

Dirk_Schietsch
Level 2
When I had the Problem I had to help me myself as the Symantec Support was not at all helpful so I played around with Options and such..

Do you backup Both Public Information Store and Mailbox Store `?.

If yes, then try to switch the order in which they are backed up. In my case I had to find out that I get the error, if I backup Mailbox Store BEFORE the Public Folder Information Store.

After I switched the Backup-Job to FIRST Backup the Public Folder Information Store and AFTER that the Mailbox Store the Problem was gone without further ado or any other changes to the Job Settings. Please don`t ask me why but for me it worked.

Try for yourself.. maybe it helps you in your case too.

Good Luck

Dirk

Peter_Gabriel
Level 3
hi,

after reading so, so, so much in this forum and writing to the veritas/symantec support (and not getting a useful answer) i decided to post my problem here.

i have one media server with be 10.1 rev. 5629 with service pack 1 and a few other servers (w2k), that i want to backup to tape and that are running the appropriate remote agent (ver. 10.1.5629.20, installed: yes, status: running)

when choosing the selection, there is no problem, i can reach the server and select whatever i want. i get this error message after running the job for a few minutes. i get 0 byte count, then the communications failure occurs.

the appropriate ports are open for communication, the "enable restrict anonymous support" is also enabled, the remote agent is running. i also tried to change the resource order as dirk suggested. i can't possibly imagine, why there is this error message.

as symantec is as helpful as a bicycle to a fish, i ask here for help

brgds
peter