cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10d Upgrade Issues

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Hello,

Recently we moved to the new Symantec 10d version of Backup Exec after using other versions of Veritas for years. The licensing process was horrendous. After only sending us half of our licenses, I still have an open ticket regarding the complete order. None the less, I do need some trouble with a technical issue.
After the upgrade to 10d, I found we cannot access the ISA 2004 server with the Backup Exec program. We can install the Remote Agent by using the manual install, however, it does not appear on the list of servers to be backed up. I am also unable to copy data via BE to tape from the ISA Server. We could back it up before with no issue back on 9.X
In addition, any archiving job we do fails if we use the share name as the archive point. We have to specify the entire UNC for the job to archive anything. Has anyone encountered similar problems? I have read the forum for similar responses, and am running the service as the correct account. The new software is nice, once I got the licensing squared away, but some of these issues are hard to work with.

Thank you for the help.
25 REPLIES 25

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Jay,

What is the exact error messege you are getting?

Are you getting any alerts?

Have you installed remote agent manually?

Thanks.

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Hello Shraddha,

Thank you for your response. Here are the answers:

Q) What is the exact error messege you are getting?

Archive- ServerUnable to attach to \\Server\C:.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

Q) Are you getting any alerts?

ISA Failures:

Yes, when we run a backup job against the machine we get:

"Backup- ServerUnable to attach to \\Server\C:.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running."

No, if we try to browse to the machine it can't find it. If we enter it manually, it tells us the agent is not running.

Archive Failures:

Archive- ServerUnable to attach to \\Server\C:.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

Q) Have you installed remote agent manually?

We have tried both options on the ISA server, and other servers with similar trouble. So far we have installed it from the BE program using Agent Install, and locally. The ISA server is a bit of a unique situation since it doesn't show up in the list to be installed too, only if you manually specific the name and domain.

Thank you for your reponse.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Jay,

Please refer to the following document.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/240971

Hope this will help you.

Please revert in case of any doubts and clarifications.

Thanks.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Have a look at http://www.hmallett.co.uk/content/view/60/49/
I don't guarantee it'll work, but it worked for me.

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Hello, and thank you for the response.

First, the article posted about port opening has helped, but has not solved the problem. If I may ask, how do you do this "On your ISA server you may have to enable the Firewall Client Install option in System Policy Editor"?
But I am afraid the ISA server still prompts for a login and password, and will not accept any account for this.
I think I may have solved part of the problem though with regard to selecting shares. In BE, go to Tools, Options, Network and Firewall, I selected "Enable Selection of Users Shares".

What do you think?

Thanks,
-Jay

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Unfortunately, I am still unable to archive too. I get this message:

e000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I have added a note to the article on how to get to the System Policy Editor.
The Firewall Client Installation option should allow ISA to be browsed to, which means that you don't need to back it up through a user-defined share.
Is your ISA server attached to the domain?

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Hello,

Hywel: That was helpful, but I am afraid the original problem still persists. I do appreciate you taking the time to post some information that helped me along.

But, I still get prompted for a logon when trying to access the ISA 2004 server, and am getting the archive message mentioned above.

Thank you,
-Jay

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Here is another error from a job I tested today using "Archive".

Archive- ServerName Unable to initialize Remote Agent

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Anything yet from the Veritas folks?

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Anything from the Veritas folks?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

After upgrading to 10d have you updated the remote agent ? Reinstall the remote agent and verify.

Thanks.

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Ok. But should I do the same on the servers with the archiving issue?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

After you have upgraded the Version, you need to upgrade all the remote agents on all the servers...

Thank You..

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Hello,

Yes, we upgraded all the agents when we did the upgrade, but the problem persists.

Thanks!

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
To reiterate, all of the agents were upgraded. If that failed I uninstalled each one and reinstalled the. Any other suggestions from Veritas?

Jay_Waschak
Level 3
Anyone know if it is just better to contact Veritas directly these days? We bought the support, and thought this was a better place to start.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I would call Veritas if you have a support contract. or do what I do, and phone them and post here too!

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Try installing BE v10.1 rev 5629 SP1.

Please refer the following link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282818.htm

Note:After installing SP1 it is required to update the remote agents on all the remote servers.

Thank you,