cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10d on SBS 2003 has CRC errors with NEW TRavan 20/40 tapes

Patrick_Burwell
Level 3
I'm getting the CRC errors that indicate a bad tape or cleaning or device driver needed:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml?EvtID=V-79-57344-34028

I have updated with sp1, cleaned the tape and see the device driver update is not for this Travan 20 gb drive, so why do I need to load it? Right? So what now?

JUST happened agin:

Error category : Backup Media Errors
Error : e00084ec - Error reading/writing data from/to the media.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34028
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml?EvtID=V-79-57344-34028
takes you to
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm
which says nothing more than a driver update.
I'm loading the driver update and running again.Message was edited by:
Patrick Burwell
13 REPLIES 13

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you current on firmware and drivers for both the SCSI card and the tape drive?

If you shut down all BackupExec services, does NTBackup complete a job with no CRC errors?

Do you have any manufacturer diags that you can run against the drive?

Have you reseated/replaced cables and terminators?

Patrick_Burwell
Level 3
NTBACKUP WORKS

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
As you have read in the Article, CRC error is a Hardware related issue. Please get your Device checked from your hardware manufacturer.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Amruta -

Did you bother to read his follow up?

NTBackup completes successfully, with no CRC errors

CRC errors can be hardware or firmware/driver errors. SInce NTBackup works, there is obviously a problem within BackupExec, so why tell him to contact the hardware vendor?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Patrick_Burwell
Level 3
Drive erase was successful, btw.
The license is now installed, registered, the driver updated now, and have rebooted, yet the diags on this Seagte IDE drive in Backup Exec still say it is in evaluation mode. What gives?
(Running another full backup as test)

Note:
This is a Windows 2003 Standard Server for Small Business.

9I see this calendar option does not show scheduled jobs... should it when they are daily, M-F?)

Lisa_Hunt
Level 2
I too am experiencing this same issue with an HP StorageWorks. Initially the tape drive was replaced last week because a Device Analysis from HP Tape Tools using 4 different tapes all caused hardware errors plus some bad noises on the read function on the test.

The newest Veritas drivers have been installed and the firmware was updated on the tape drive.

The new tape drive was installed. A device analysis was performed on the 4 tapes that had caused problems and all passed cleanly. All tapes were quick erased and tested with a quick backup and restore. There were 4 successful backups (Tues to Fri night) until this yesterday (Monday) which failed with the same CRC errors.

We have not tried NTBackup because the success rate has been about 50% and there is no pattern to when a backup will be successful or not.

If you have any more ideas I would appreciate any new leads.

Thank you.

Patrick_Burwell
Level 3
YOURS sound like tape cleaning needs to be done.
What I mean is try this first. YEs, new drives need to be cleaned.
Then if not you may have to ensure the driver is the one you installed (device manager).
I have to reinstall drivers twice sometimes and then reboot.
Did you install the device driver in safe mode? May be necessary if you find the tape driver is not what you installed. Look for the version date. Dell storage devices are nototorious for this in WIndows 2003. I had to reinstall a robotic device driver on a windows 2003 Standard server in safe mode after runnning the Dell utility that uninstalls the driver, and then reinstall in safe mode before the driver ACTULLY was overwritten.
one time I had to manually delete it before reinstalling and then reboot to safe mode.
Another time (also a Dell storage device) I had to HACK the driver source location from the registry! Only then did the install that claimed to have installed the driver actually show it was in use on reboot.

Lisa_Hunt
Level 2
No, as we spent a week doing a tape clean every day - still no pattern to when it would fail or not. Then we tried a clean 5 times in a row and still the backup failed. The tapes and drive are all less than 6 weeks old in a brand new HP Proliant server.

The device driver is from the Veritas February updated device drivers which clearly shows the HP C7438A as a supported device.

I have a couple more ideas (bad box of tapes or bad SCSI controller) but I also wanted to know if there are other thought lines I haven't covered yet.

Thanks for your quick reply. :))

Patrick_Burwell
Level 3
Are you using the new type of tape (What IS that ne wmodel again?) that is extremely sensitive to EMI? That particular tape requires you use the right tape cleaner or you RUIN THE DRIVE!
Better check!

Patrick_Burwell
Level 3
Just be sure the driver you are installing actually is in use. The only real way to verify this is to look in device manager, driver tab, driver details details. note the date of the file version.

Patrick_Burwell
Level 3
OH OH OH!
Is the scsi cable to the tape drive white (ugly yellow really)?
If it is you may have a latency issue if the color of the cable to the drives is blue.
HP will provide the updated cable if you call them.

(and my tape backup is still going... fails part way through so still waiting)

Message was edited by:
Patrick Burwell

So it appears to be the cabling at this point. Let us know what happened! -Patrick

Lisa_Hunt
Level 2
Yeppers... did that - February 13, 2006 is the driver file date...

Just read your last bit on the SCSI cable and will look at that tomorrow. Thanks!!

Patrick_Burwell
Level 3
The backup has succeeded and verify is now completing.

HuuuAHHH!