cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d Environment Check

John_Bielot
Level 3
I'm preparing to upgrade a Windows 2000/SP4 server from BE10d->BE11d. I ran the environment check and received (3) warnings. The first one is -

Tape Device Information - One or more devices on this computer are either not connected or not working. My (2) existing tape drives both show up as OK. A 3rd drive is listed as either not attached or not working. I had a DLT7000 drive fail and it was replaced. I believe that it's replacement is listed as OK, but the original is the one that I believe is causing the warning. Is there a way that I can 'remove it' from the system so that it doesn't show up here? It's not listed in Windows device manager.

Thanks.

John

6 REPLIES 6

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Hi John -

You can remove the device from Backup Exec by doing the following:

1. Go into Backup Exec
2. Click on the Devices tab
3. Right Click on the Driver that is no longer in use
4. Click on "Enable" (This will take the check mark off the "Enable" value and disable it)
5. Right Click on the Device again
6. Click Delete
7. Restart the Backup Exec Services
8. This should now remove the device from Backup Exec.
9. Re-run the upgrade.

I hope this helps!

- Jared

John_Bielot
Level 3
Hi Jared,

If only it were that simple... When I view the Devices tab, only my (2) existing tape drives are shown. That's true both under Storage Devices | Devices Pools | All Devices (Servername) and under Storage Devices | Servername | Stand-alone Drives.

Running v10.1 (5629) SP3 - Windows 2000 Server/SP4

Once I get this cleaned up, then I have to work on WMI errors...

John

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
John -

Check your windows event logs. Are you getting any errors that may pertain to a SCSI controller, driver issue, cabling, firmware and such? The type of errors you want to look for are Event ID's 5, 7, 9, 11 or 15.

Event ID 5s signify parity errors. If the Event Viewer has any of these, contact the hardware manufacturer to resolve these events.

Event ID 7s signify bad blocks. This could be the result of a driver issue, media that is becoming faulty, or dirty read/write heads on the tape drive. Cleaning the tape drive and loading the latest tape drivers from Symantec usually helps resolve these issues.

Event ID 9s signify SCSI bus timeouts. These errors usually occur when the SCSI bus resets itself, or the tape drive does not respond in a timely fashion.

Event ID 11s signify controller errors. These errors are generally caused by hardware that is not functioning correctly.

Event ID 15s signify the device is not ready for access. These errors usually occur when the tape drive or tape library is having problems communicating with the server.

Are the drives connected to one single controller, to its own controller or daisy chained?

- Jared

·

John_Bielot
Level 3
Hi,

No the event logs are clean. Occasionally I have a bad tape (CRC errors or whatever), but otherwise the existing 2 drives are working fine. The WMI errors were 'found' by the prereq check. I hadn't noticed anything that would point to a problem before that.

As for the drive, I suspect it wasn't removed properly when it failed (stand alone - bad power supply). But it doesn't show up in BE or in Windows device mgr. I suspect there are probably (?) registry entries for in and that's what the prereq is finding. Does that make sense?

John

John_Bielot
Level 3
With regard to your question as to how the drives are connected, they are daisy chained and connected to a single SCSI controller. The server is approx. 3.5 yrs old. One drive was installed with the server (DLT7000) and the second drive (LTO1) was installed about 2 years ago. It was the DLT7000 that had failed and was replaced.

John

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
John -

Here is a good tech note to refer to when troubleshooting tape device issues. There could be an issue in the VSDLoadTable.

I hope this helps!

- Jared