cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

11d, Netware Remote Agent and bizarre credential issues.

SafeTinspector
Not applicable
I have Backup Exec 11d, rev 7170
I am backing up and restoring from a Netware 6.5 SP6 server running the remote agent 9.2 from Jan 11 of 2006.
The user which is used to backup and restore is called BackupUser, and within Netware is in the container sisco.
That makes BackupUser's fully distinguished name .backupuser.sisco
I am also running all the BackupExec services as the locally defined "backupuser" account, which has the same password as the netware account of the same name. I have also tried running the backup services as "local service" but the results as far as the credential problems do not change.

Here are my symptoms:
During a backup-
If I attempt to browse to the Netware servers within BackupExec I must provide it with a credential that does NOT include the fully distinguished name of the user. That is, Backup Exec will not show me the files on the server unless I select as my credential the BackupUser account name which does not include the container name. (ie BackupUser)
Once submitted, however, this job WILL fail. You must then edit the job and change the credential to the account with its fully distinguished name. (.backupuser.sisco) It will then run successfully.

During a restore-
I can submit the job with any of my credentials, be it fully distinguished or not, and the restore job will ALWAYS fail with the following error:
The job failed with the following error: Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.

Here's where it gets wierd. I've tested this over and over again and this is absolutely true.
The only way to get the job to succeed is to wait for the failure of the originally submitted restore job.
Then, within the Job Setup tab, edit the restore job and specify the credential that does NOT include the fully distinguished name. Run the job and wait for it to fail again.
Immediately go back to the job setup and specify the credential with the fully distinguished name. Run it and...it succeeds!
This happens every time.

To recap:
If I initially submit the restore job using the fully distinguished name it will fail. It will also fail if I specify without the fully distinguished name at that point.
If I then edit the job and try specifying the fully distinguished name, regardless of what was specified initially, it will continue to fail.
It ONLY succeeds if I first switch to the credential without the fully distinguished name, let it fail, and then switch to the fully distinguished name.

Help!
here is a screenshot of the credentials to help you visualize what I'm talking about. Below that is a screenshot of the installed updates and hotfixes:

Message Edited by SafeTinspector on 11-13-2007 08:03 AM
0 REPLIES 0