cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d evaluation version putting jobs on hold

Jay_Woody
Level 3
The company I am supporting is using 11d evaluation version for the next 25 days. They run two jobs. One backs up one server at 9 pm and then another backs up the other at 2 am. I'm not sure why it isn't one job, but alas.

The one job at 9 works and every morning the one at 2:00 is on hold. No errors in the event viewer and no errors in BE's logs. As a matter of fact I never see where it even tried to run, was put on hold or anything. It is just off of hold when I leave and back on hold next morning when I come in.

Is there a limit to the evaluation version only running one job? Is there any reason why a job would go on hold with nothing in the logs or event viewer?

Just FYI, the 9:00 job says it is finished at 12:54, so it has more than an hour. Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Have a look at the start time windows for each job and make sure that the end of the start window for the first job does not overlap the start of the start window on the second job

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Jay

No limitation in evaluation period.

If the jobs are running on a standalone tape drive, maybe the second one tries to overwrite the tape and it is overwrite protected, ar the first one takes the tape off and Backup EXec asks for a new one.

Regards

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
David I believe that would give a status of missed rather than put the job on hold, come to think of it, so would my suggestion

Jay_Woody
Level 3
Phillip,

Thanks, but as I mentioned it ends at 12:54 and the next one kicks off at 2:00, so I have more than an hour in between them. The part that kills me is that I am getting nothing in the logs. I wish I could provide something intelligent.

Symantec last night had me delete the job and recreate it. I'll let you know this morning.

Jay_Woody
Level 3
It looks like the data will fit pretty easily. In the past it has been backing up about 90-100GB. So unless something dramatic has changed . . .

Wouldn't I get an error still though? I mean if I got an error that said, "out of space", I would know and plan accordingly. But the logs and Event Viewer are just blank. It never appears that the job even starts. I see that the other job starts and finishes and the tape is still in there and green (not ejected) in the morning.

Bizarre. I just told Phillip, but Symantec had me recreate the job last night. I'll let you guys know if that fixed it.

Jay_Woody
Level 3
All right, I signed in and checked. The job that I recreated last night actually ran. Support says that "something in the database" must have gotten messed up and putting the job in again fixed it.

However, the first job (a local backup) ran in 3 hours and 53 minutes at about 250MB/min. The second job (backing up a server outside of the domain) was still running. It had run for 6 hours at 14MB/min. I cancelled the new job and I will try to see why it is going at 14MB/min over the network. This server has been backed up before at 200-250MB/min, so I know it is capable of doing so. Maybe the server is having issues. I'll see.

Jay_Woody
Level 3
Apparently the issue was wbem, which I am not supposed to be backing up I guess. Took that one directory out and the back up ran fine. I have had a multitude of issues since, but this one is resolved.