cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d rev 7170 Missed Jobs

433ELasC
Level 3
One of my Backup Exec servers was doing just fine.  Windows 2003 Server SP1, BE 11d rev 7170.   As part of scheduled maintenance, I ran a Live Update on BE.  It downloaded and installed all available hot fixes (1-14... but not 2).

I rebooted the server to finish the updates.  I then pushed the RAWS out to all remote agents and rebooted the remote agents.

Now, my backups have the infamous "Missed" status

The error listed is

"Error             : e000e020 - The job was scheduled to run, but the availability window closed before the job could start. There may not have been any destination devices available during the window, or the job may have been submitted to run when the window was closed."

I've read bunches of older posts on this issue.  With a WAN of 80+ sites, and each site having its on BE server, I can't afford a lot of guesswork.  I have opened a case with Symantec Support.  I will post their answer and whether or not it works. 

I am posting this message with the exact error message and solution for those of you that can't afford Symantec Support.
2 REPLIES 2

433ELasC
Level 3
I received a call back regarding my case.  The following is what I was told.

This is a known issue with both 6235 and 7170.

1a.  If using 7170 and experiencing the missed job problem, apply hot fix 13, then go to step 2.

1b.  If using 6235 and experiencing the missed job problem, apply Service Pack 1, then go to step 2.

2.  Wait and see if your backups still get missed.  If everything is ok, you are done.  If you still get missed, go to step 3.

3.  Place all existing jobs on hold.  Create all new jobs.  Do not use any existing selection lists or policies in the new jobs.  The new jobs must be completely new.  Make new selection lists and policies.  Schedule the new jobs.  Symantec says that as long as you did step 1a. or 1b., then this will definitely, for sure, fix the problem.  :)

I have plenty of servers of each revision and will post results soon.

433ELasC
Level 3
It actually worked.  If the problem comes back, I will post an update.  Otherwise, consider this sage advice from Symantec.  I also checked all my BE configuration settings before creating the new jobs.  Basically, our upgrades will also become full audits on BE for each server.  It's a lot more effort, but it will be worth it.