cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d vs 12, we are forced to go back.

BlueEchoes
Level 4
Has anyone here gone back to 11d due to exchange backups? We are being forced to. We have 2 Backup Exec servers running, one with 12 in our main office that has the exchange system, one running 11d in a satellite office 2000 miles away.

The 12 system cannot backup our massive exchange system period. GRT to disc or tape, Legacy to disc or tape, mailbox incrementals and fulls, nothing. Almost 2 months without mailbox backups.

The 11d system, freshly tested this morning, backs up the exchange system that is 2000 miles away, PERFECTLY in all attempts stated above.

In both, we get some "files are corrupt" warnings, but the 12 gets about 10% of a mailbox and stops as a failed backup, whereas the 11d keeps going on and gets 100% of the mailbox with a finished successfully with exceptions, and I can even restore a corrupt email and open it in Outlook without error. both systems are using the same domain user to run backups, the 12 system gets an access denied error, the 11d does not.

What has happened? Is anyone else getting the same results? I have been using Backup Exec since 6.2 and never had a problem this serious and never had a mailbox backup problem, but 12 has done me in and we have to go back.

If anyone has experienced anything like this, please post up with your findings.

mahalo!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BlueEchoes
Level 4
Today (October 17th) we are getting our first Mailbox incremental backup since May 26th. We are now running 11d and our backup is working flawlessly again. Thanks to a Symantec first level tech on May 27th, we were sent on a ride from H E double hockey sticks. A ride including 2 server rebuilds, going over our tape budget for the year by July, endless hours on the phone with support and now, no return calls to my director of I.T. and I from said support and our local sales rep appologizing for 20 minutes last night. We were told by this original tech that we HAD to upgrade our 11d system to 12 to fix a minor issue with log files. We took the wrong pill, the red one, and it sent us on a 143 day train wreck.

We are now back to the way we were back on May 26th and our system is now fully functional on all aspects and once again working the way I expect Backup Exec to work. As a user since 6.2, and a happy user at that, I can honestly say I am happy once again, but can I get my 143 days back?

:)

So, I guess going back instead of forward is the fix for our problem. Maybe this same fix will work for others here that I am seeing witht the same problem?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Yes this kind of behaviour has been observerd with legacy mailbox backup(Not recommended method)....

In this case it is suggested to do GRT backup of exchange which are faster than legacy backups and gives you ability to restore a single mail message.

BlueEchoes
Level 4
But GRT does not work either, I would be using it if it did, because we use tapes. I think Symantec lost touch with their users, because not being able to do Exchange backups with Tape devices is stopping a ton of people out there. We have an absolutely KILLER tape system, pretty darn costly, really darn fast, and I cannot use it to do GRT backups or any other Exchange backup in 12? Do users that are still using tape go to Commvault? Why completely remove tape users? Big mistake. I was forced to use Commvault once (1.5 years of h e double hockey sticks), but if that was my only option to get Exchange backups...

Anup
Level 6
Certified

You can take a backup to disk and then duplicate it to tape...That should probably work for you.

Exchange backups to tape do work but while restoring it give problem due to some environmental issues 

BlueEchoes
Level 4
Today (October 17th) we are getting our first Mailbox incremental backup since May 26th. We are now running 11d and our backup is working flawlessly again. Thanks to a Symantec first level tech on May 27th, we were sent on a ride from H E double hockey sticks. A ride including 2 server rebuilds, going over our tape budget for the year by July, endless hours on the phone with support and now, no return calls to my director of I.T. and I from said support and our local sales rep appologizing for 20 minutes last night. We were told by this original tech that we HAD to upgrade our 11d system to 12 to fix a minor issue with log files. We took the wrong pill, the red one, and it sent us on a 143 day train wreck.

We are now back to the way we were back on May 26th and our system is now fully functional on all aspects and once again working the way I expect Backup Exec to work. As a user since 6.2, and a happy user at that, I can honestly say I am happy once again, but can I get my 143 days back?

:)

So, I guess going back instead of forward is the fix for our problem. Maybe this same fix will work for others here that I am seeing witht the same problem?