cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 backups on same tape

Alex_S_rensen
Level 3
Setup Backup 10.0 build 5484.6, Library with 2 drives and 26 slots. I want to take a full backup of several servers, overwrite an overwritable tape in a mediapool. The I want to take an additional backup of another server and append it to the same media.
Alle my servers run W2K3, I cannot have the servers in the same job since some servers need the Open File Option, and the last one must not be backed up using any openfile option.
How du I ensure that the two backups end on the same tape and not on two different tapes ?
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The second job must be Append, Else Overwrite
It must point to the same media set as the first
It must start writing to the tape within the APP period defined for that media set.

Alex_S_rensen
Level 3
> The second job must be Append, Else Overwrite
> It must point to the same media set as the first
> It must start writing to the tape within the APP
> period defined for that media set.

I don't see how this reply can help me. I know the difference between append and overwrite! This reply doesn't help controlling what media in mediaset thats written to. I use a tape library not a stand-alone drive.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This reply doesn't help controlling what media in mediaset thats written to

Are you saying that if you run two jobs, the first overwrite, the second append, to the same media set, that BackupExec will not append the second to the mounted tape, but will grab another appendable tape in that media set from the library?

If so you probably need to open a Trouble Ticket, since that is not the way that it's supposed to work.

You don't have Eject-on-End specified for the first (Overwrite) job do you?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Alex_S_rensen
Level 3
> This reply doesn't help controlling what media in
> mediaset thats written to

>
> Are you saying that if you run two jobs, the first
> overwrite, the second append, to the same media set,
> that BackupExec will not append the second to the
> mounted tape, but will grab another appendable tape
> in that media set from the library?
>
> If so you probably need to open a Trouble Ticket,
> since that is not the way that it's supposed to
> work.
>
> You don't have Eject-on-End specified for the first
> (Overwrite) job do you?

I think tha BackupExec is supposed to work this way :Run on any available device in device pool to any available media in mediapool. I found a way to control it. Changed append-period to a value less than a day. I choose 18 hours, then the only tape available for append is the one just overwritten.