Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 full backups + differential, how to?

vvallas
Level 3
Partner

Hi ta all,

I am trying to find a solution on backing up my exchange storage group.
I have a tape library with 12 spare tapes that i can use.
I want to take my mail storage group Full backup to tape every saturday, and all the other days(sunday,monday,tuesday,thursday,friday) differential backup.

Also i want to take one daily Full backup to External disk for my disaster site.
How can i do this without confusing backup exec differential backup with the two full backups?

Is there any way to tell to backup exec that differential backups should be taken according to the full weekly backup and not the other one for the disaster site?

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. You cannot do this.  A differential backup will backup everything that has changed since the LAST FULL backup.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create a new job New job to duplicate backup data  to start after the friday backup:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If you are running Grt backup you can only run Full and incremental .

The best way would be to backup the data to disk first and then duplicate the same to tape .

To use incremental backup the backup job should be configured using a policy and should be targeted a backup to disk folder.

But if you are running full backup daily incermental backup jobs would not work . So better if you configure a backup stratergy such that you backup first to disk and then use the duplicate backup job template to duplicate the backup set from disk to tape

vvallas
Level 3
Partner

i am interesetd only in differential backup beacuse i have little time available and about 600 gb of exchange data. the problem is that the daily full backup to disk is on external disk wich every day goes to the DR.

vvallas
Level 3
Partner

is it possible to take the daily full to my external disk without beeing marked from backup exec?( i mean no time stamps etc) and leave only the full weekly to be combined with the differential

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you can do a Daily full to disk, and then create a duplicate job that sends it off to tape afterwards...

vvallas
Level 3
Partner

yes but when i need to do a restore the disk will be at the Disaster site, so how can i make backup combine the differentials with the weekly full?

CraigV

...your primary site will always have a full back up on it, so you restore from there. The DR site has the standby backup...this is your full backup from your primary site that you duplicate to disk or tape from...

Keep the process simple...don't try running multiple full jobs as it will cause issues.

So, for example:

Sunday - Full backup (Duplicate to disk/tape and send to DR)

Monday --> Saturday - DIFF.

Thanks!

vvallas
Level 3
Partner

the DR backup should be taken every day,this is my problem.

vvallas
Level 3
Partner

every day i have to do a full restore on the DR site,this is the company policy.

CraigV

...then this isn't going to be possible, unless you duplicate your information to the DR site across your WAN.

Somewhere along the line, running a DIFF policy along with another FULL policy, you're going to run into issues. I suspect it would trigger a full backup daily on your DIFF policy instead of a differential backup.

vvallas
Level 3
Partner

thanks for the answers, i will try to find something and post it here.