cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 R3 Dedupe question on moving the Deupe folder?

macpiano
Level 6

I would like to know if this is possible. I have my dedupe folder on the BE server itself. I now have a SAN and would like to start using that instead. I know I can't have 2 dedupes on the same server. Can I migrate the dedupe stuff to the SAN or only part of it? I will no longer be keeping backups of my main server on this new dedupe folder as I am using another server and subnet for that and only need part of these backups.

Also is it possible to have the dedupe folder size reduced since I won't be using all of the stuff in it?

thanks

Gary

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you looked at - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160832 ?

macpiano
Level 6

I know that I can designate a new folder but then everything in the old dedupe folder would not be accessible or is that not true? I only need some of the stuff in the old dedupe.

thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6

Looking at the technote, it looks like you can move everything existing.  

If you only need to retain some of the stuff, then you need to erase what you don't want anymore, prior to moving the folder.

macpiano
Level 6

If the old dedupe folder is invalid as in now we have a new dedupe folder are you saying that BE can pull that data out of there and transfer to the new one?

teiva-boy
Level 6

No.

When stopping the services, moving stuff over, deleting the folder, and creating a new one that happens to point to the old folder in new location...  BE can index all that data all over again. It can't index a forgotten folder nor import data into a new one...  Well I guess if it were working you could use CASO and duplicate it to a new BE server, but thats a lot of work.

To add to my initial comments, sometimes you are trying to free up space, and that may not happen in some scenarios in the way BE uses container files to store data.  It will mark blocks of data as free'd up, but the container file is now present adn already consumes its 256MB file (or whatever it is these days with newer SP's).  Just references within are marked that they can be expired or overwritten.