cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 backup to disk folders

Mat_Ashmore
Level 4
Hi Everyone,

Simple query I hope...  I have created a Backup-to-Disk folder which has the following settings applied ;

Path : C:\Backups
Maximum size for backup-to-disk files : 50GB
Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file : 1

Now I am just doing a simple backup of a folder on a remote server & everything looks OK.  The folder on the remote server is 44.2GB in total so my 50GB backup-to-disk file will be enough.  The question is why isnt the backup-to-disk file growing when the job is counting up...  I got to 5gig on the job monitor but the file was still 2KB.  I guess it will write the full 44.2GB when the backup has completed but where in the mean time does it store this 44.2GB's of data?  I just want to know for my own piece of mind.  I can see the space on the C:\ being taken away by simply refreshing my computer so its doing its thing just where is the question before it commits it to eh bkf file...

Many thanks in advance, Mat
2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Don't know the answer to your question but unless you overwrite the BKF file every day I would not create a B2D folder on the C: drive of a server as you might accidentally fill your C: drive

Mat_Ashmore
Level 4
Hi Colin,

I had to create a backup to disk setup to do some testing for a symantec support call, its not going to be the production daily backup so don't worry about that ;)

I monitored the backup to disk backup running & it appears that it writes it in 7gig lumps...  again not sure where the hell it processes it in the mean time though.

Oh well!!!