cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Administrator's Guide - Active Directory backups

bklish
Level 3

On page 237:

"For Active Directory, use the Install from Media feature. Restore the system state
backup sets of an existing domain controller in the domain in which you want to
add a new domain controller. Then, perform a redirected restore of the system
state backup sets to the destination domain controller."

Should that second sentence read:

"Backup the system state backup sets of an existing domain controller in the domain in which you want to
add a new domain controller."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Ok I just looked at the sentence you commented on...

What it is saying is that if you want to add a second domain contoller into your domain and a slow link is involved then you can 'seed' a domain controller using a backup set.

It then gives an outline of the process and because we state do a restore twice - I suspect it possibly should say backup in the first sentence (although you can of course use an existing backup set instead of running a special job)

As such 'backup' appears to be the correct word.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Could be a typo. Send a PM to Colin Weaver and ask him to check up on this.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

I will look into this a little further - there appares to be an obvious mistrake in that paragraph as I don't think you can redirect a system state as a systemstate (you can do it to look at the files for troubleshooting)

EDIT: Correction, the steps below the paragraph actually show that the method makes use of redirecting to the file system. I will now look at the sentence you commented on.

Colin_Weaver

Ok I just looked at the sentence you commented on...

What it is saying is that if you want to add a second domain contoller into your domain and a slow link is involved then you can 'seed' a domain controller using a backup set.

It then gives an outline of the process and because we state do a restore twice - I suspect it possibly should say backup in the first sentence (although you can of course use an existing backup set instead of running a special job)

As such 'backup' appears to be the correct word.