cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

23 Hours to complete the Backup !!!!!

Ivano_Brambilla
Level 2
I've Backup Exec 9.1 Small business server installed on Windows 2000 service pack 4, it takes 23 hours to complete the backup,and when finished , the Process register report a lot of error in some mail.
I've noticed that the problem is the backup of microsoft exchange that is made very slowly , while the backup of the other files is fast enought,so i think that the problem shouldn't be hardware related.
Could someone help me to resolve this problem it's 2 weeks that I'm looking for a solution.

ThanksMessage was edited by:
Ivano Brambilla
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you doing Stores backups of your Exchange, or Mailbox backups, or both?

if mailbox backups only, you need to rethink your backup strategy. They are useless for Disaster Recovery purposes, are next to useless for individual restores (see the forums for all the problems people have trying)

For a fuller discussion of Mailbox backups see http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm

Jack_Ping
Level 3
Hi Ken,

I am using Veritas Backup Exec for SMB 9.1 is because of its ability to do mail box backup, otherwise i will use the free native ntbackup.
As you said, individual mail box backup is a problem, would you pls tell me if there is any other reasons I should keep it?

thanks

jack

Ivano_Brambilla
Level 2
I'm making a mailboxes backup.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you already have a licensed copy, I'd keep it just for the Tape Management and catalog features. Also, if you need to backup more than one machine, NTBackup probably won't work for you

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
By the nature of the Kludege that Veritas came up with to do Mailbox backups (since Microsoft does not offer an API to do it), they will always be significantly slower than stores backups.

Veritas first opens an Outlook session as the Service Account. It then attaches to and "reads" all items in the Mailbox using standard MAPI calls. it then detaches the mailbox, attaches the next, and repeats the process.

We've see reports of 6-8 MB/min for Mailbox backups on decent hardware.

For the Symantec/Veritas take in "reasonable throughput" see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235354.htm

Ivano_Brambilla
Level 2
So i'm even lucky, my speed is 15,5 Mb \min, are you sure that the average speed is 5/6 Mb\min ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I just said that we've seen reports that low here on the forum. Whatever you get is whatever you get, and there isn't much you can do to speed it up

But again, DO NOT rely on Mailbox backups for disaster recovery.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Try stopping the real time scanning during the backup of mailboxes.

Regards,