Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d 'Base model'

Rod_MacDonald
Not applicable
Hey Guys

Just some questions about the base model version of Backup Exec 10d

- Backup Exec seems to skip over any SQL server files in the backup process. To back up SQL server files do we need to purchase the 'Agent for Microsoft SQL server'?

- Can a system restore backup be created for the event of complete hardware malfunction whereby we can restore data to a server without having access to the Windows Environment? Or do we have to purchase the 'Intelligent Disaster Recovery Agent'?

Cheers
2 REPLIES 2

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Yes, if you want to backup you SQL databases then you ideally want the SQL Agent, since your database files will always be in use and therefore locked, otherwise you'll need to get SQL itself to produce a backup of the databases, and then you can back those up along with the rest of the servers data, but for disaster recovery less ideal since you would then have to restore each db individually.

You can restore a system to a new machine without the IDR agent, but the benefit of using it is the speed which you can recover the system. Without it you will need to setup the new server with Windows, get all the drivers etc re-installed, get it back to the previous patch level, install Backup Exec or the remote agent (depending on if it's the media server), and only then will you be able to perform the restore.

I should warn you though, I've been trying to get IDR working on one of our new systems without success recently, though that may just be due to the config of our server, so if possible I would definitely recommend if you get the chance, eg the server isn't get in a production environment, do a complete test run of the IDR restore so you're happy that it will work correctly. The last thing you want is to discover your recovery doesn't work properly when your server dies, and to restore it manually.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Rod,

As Keith has mentioned , yes you need a SQL Agent in order to perform online backup of SQL server.

Also please elaborate on restore Qs you have asked.

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri