cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Tape Drive Config issues

AusIT
Level 2
Hi,

Have been running Veritas9.1 sp1 with a PowerVault 132T LTO2 Tape library with no problems at all.

Last week I added the extra option of a 2nd tape drive and I am unable to get backup exec to use the 2nd tape at all. When directing a backup to it, the job just hangs with a status that keeps alternating between "loading media" & "queued", even though there is overwriteable media available in the library. After a while the jobs times out with the following message...

a0008212 - Library error - invalid element address

Seems like even though Bexec recognises the additional tape drive it just doesn't agree with it.

Have tried removing devices from bexec and re-configuring with no change to end result. Have tried upgrading to latest IBM ULTRIUM-TD2 drivers from veritas with no change. Have upgraded PVault132T robotic library drivers from dell with no success. Have upgraded to Bexec 9.1sp2 with no success. I'm thinking of upgrading firmware next?

I have library expansion option already installed (unless I need another one?).

Any further ideas would be much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please follow the steps given below and verify the results:
1. Sotp the RSM service and change its start type to "Manual"

2. Please check your hardware configuration. Refer the following technote.
Title:
How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Please note that Backup Exec supports unlimited stand alone drives. But in a library each extra drive requires one Library Expansion option.

If the issue persists, do revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

AusIT
Level 2
Thanks heaps - all working now !

Tried stopping RSM first but no difference

Went through the steps in the support doco and found that whoever originally installed the library, had connected it to the second channel of IBM server raid adaptor - instead of the independant Adapter scsi adaptor which was doing nothing.

Changed scsi adaptors rebooted and re-configure drive pools and all is working fine

Regards