cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.6 Remote Agent skips System State on Registry\Software

Peter_Cordes
Level 3
It worked fine for years until suddenly Backup Excec 8.6 reports an error when the Remote Agent backs up a Windows 2000 Server (running Windows Terminal Server software).
While working on the system state the log file reports following error message: Element Registry\software could not be read - skipped (translated into english!).

The strange thing is, that after server reboot the backup jop completes without error - but only once! Next night and all following the error occurs.

Any suggestions are very welcome.
Regards from Germany
Peter
4 REPLIES 4

Jacob_Lewis
Level 3
My Suggestion is to create a "Windows Backup" of the system state to a folder and have backup exec back up the folder.

Peter_Cordes
Level 3
Jakob! thanks a lot.
I will try ntbackup on system state next when I'm in front of the system to see what happens. Anyway I think it would be the 2nd best solution in the long run.

I'm still wondering, what could be the root cause of this problem?

Peter_Cordes
Level 3
I have checked with NTbackup to backup the system state only to disk. Everythink works fine.
Additionally I've found out, that the server - which runs Backup Exec - reports an error in the eventlog at exactly the time when the Veritas logfile reports that the backup exec remote agent skips the registry\software.
The evenlog message states that "DCOM has an error on "Class not registered" from Computer "XXX" while trying to activate server {D99E6E73-FC88-11D0-B498-00A0C90312F3}

So I'm further investigating on the DCOM error message. Got already some ideas from some forum.

I rebooted once more and again the Backup completes succesfully. But next night the error occurs again. So still wondering what process/activity disturbs the DCOM connection and what can fix the problem with respect to the remote agent.

Peter_Cordes
Level 3
Last but not least I found out, that the system that is backed up by the Remote Agent at that time was running a virus scanner (NOD32). After shifting the virus scanner to a later time the overall Backup completed sucessfully.

The previously mention DCOM message still persists - so it's not relevant the the problem, which seems to be solved know.