cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 and a half hours for 532MB??? What?!?!?!

CBT_Help_Desk
Level 4
Ok. I'm backing up Public Folders only on an Exchange 2003 Server on a Windows 2003 server. No one is accessing the server during this time only Backup Exec. All accounts are authenticating properly and are domain/exchange admins. I have applied hotfix 7, 10, 13, 15 and SP1 on Media Servers and CAS. I have verified file versions on the CAS, MMS, and Exchange Server. I am using the Exchange Agent. Backup of Information Store and Mailboxes are working properly. Just backing up Public folders which I created a separate job for.

I have also ran SGMON on Exchange Server, MMS, and CAS that did NOT display any errors or problems.

The only thing I noticed was that after applying the hotfixes that is when my backups started slowing down.

Job History States:
Elapsed time : 08:34:55
Files : 0
Directories : 0
Skipped files : 0
Corrupt files : 0
Files in use : 0
Byte count : 531,733,862 bytesJ
ob rate : 1.00 MB/Min (Byte count divided by Elapsed time for job)

Job Log States:
Job ended: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 at 10:35:02 PM
Completed status: Successful

Backed up 27690 mail messages in 218 folders in 0 mailbox(es)
Processed 531733862 bytes in 8 hours, 25 minutes, and 39 seconds.
Throughput rate: 1.00 MB/min

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you muchly.
5 REPLIES 5

CBT_Help_Desk
Level 4
Anyone with any ideas????????????

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Are your public folders replicated across multiple servers or do you have just the one exchange server in your environment?

You indicated other exchange backups are working correctly- do you also perform brick-level backups of the mailboxes? If so, what is that transfer speed?

Have you tried breaking the public folder backup into several sections to see if the trasfer speed is universally slow (1mb/min) or if the backup is hanging on one section?

CBT_Help_Desk
Level 4
Public Folders are replicated across 4 servers.

I am performing Brick-level backups that run about 120 MB - 160 MB per minute

I have not broken up the public folder backups into different jobs to see if one section is slowing it down. I will try that and see what happens.

Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate it GREATLY!!!!

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We apologise for the late reply. Could you Update us on the latest Status of the Problem?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

CBT_Help_Desk
Level 4
late reply?!?!?!?! I'd say! 3 MONTHS late. :) sheesh!

But to answer your question, yes it has been resolved. I'm not sure what fixed it, but I think it was our exchange server.

Thanks for your help.