cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9.1 + SP4a - compression not working BUG???

Amorphous_Sage
Level 4
Hi, I posted before that selecting compression enabled (either HW or SW) wasnt working for me (BE 9.1, SP4a, 20/40 DAT).

I now see others - here and elsewhere - saying the same. One post explicity stated that the latest updates have broken compression. I have the same issue at 2 sites now - different OS and hardware so it has to be the lovely BE 9.1 + sp4a.

Does anyone know more? Anyone have 9.1 + SP4a running with hardware compression and all running ok? if so can you pipe up and say please.

Im going to have to run up a blank test server to find/prove the cause of this as I have exhausted all the avenues available. Whatever I have tried it sticks at 1:1 compression.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Jack_Ping
Level 3
Compression is working but seems not to be working well.

Before SP4a, i had no problems backing up 52GB data on a DLT40/80 tape using hardware compression; after SP4a, the alert asked me to insert an overwritable media.

Hope the company can check this out.

jack

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-what all data is getting backedup ?
-database files or normal files ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Gauri -

What is so difficultl to underwstand about

"Compression was working before SP4a but is not working afterward"

It doesn't matter what kind of data is being backed up Jobs that did compress at reasonable rates before SP4a no nolonger do ANY compression after.

I'd have to hunt up the thread, but one fellow ran a SCSI trace and can see the command to turn compression off transmitted to the drive.

Once again, just like when SP4 was originally released, Veritas/Symantec have a problem, documented by many customers and refuse to accept that they indeed are responsible