cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADBO/Synthetic Backups - good for D2D over WAN?

pauld
Not applicable
Trying to determine if ADBO is something I should look at.  I have a number of sites, each of which I would like to do weekly full backups to Disk, nightly incrementals to Disk, daily duplication to tape, and finally, daily duplication (?) to two datacenter sites to disk (and maybe to tape as well).

The sites are connected via 1.5 to 3 Mb mpls links, and each site backs up a total of somewhere between 10 and 500 GB of data.

So, I'm thinking maybe the ADBO would give me a good way to send incrementals over the WAN and assemble Synthetics at the datacenters.

Make sense?  In playing around, I found that the default template for Synthetics does a full baseline monthly - is this necessesary?  If bandwidth weren't a consideration I can see it being a good idea, but what am I risking by not doing it that often?  I expect a full backup of 500 GB using software compression bringing it to 250 GB over a 3Mb link might take quite a while, and I don't want to use that bandwidth during business hours.

Paul.

1 REPLY 1

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I'm not 100% sure what the requirement for monthly synthetic baseline backups is, but it may be to ensure consistency.
Am I right in thinking that you are planning to do backups at both the datacentres and at the remote sites?
Because of the bandwidth limitation, and the copying of data between multiple sites, I wonder whether replication might be a better solution. Replication Exec (or possibly Volume Replicator) allow you to sync between multiple sites. If you have all your data replicated to the datacentre, you could run all your backups from there. CPS might do the same thing.