cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADBO vs CPS

Colin_Bentley
Level 3
Hi

What is the difference between the continous protection server and advanced disk based backup?

Both solutions backup to disk with the option to move older data to tape so i dont see why the extra cost for ADBO is needed.

Can both solutions be run together or is it best to have one and not the other.

regards
Colin
5 REPLIES 5

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
- One of the major Difference is CPS is not a Backup of the files. It is just a Copy of the Files.
- In ADBO Option you can do Synthetic Backups. (Which you cannot in CPS).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can go through the Admin Guide as well:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279483.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm (Pg. 901 Onwards. )

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Colin_Bentley
Level 3
Hi Amruta

if i use CPS to copy files from a file server to a NAS server and then run a backup to backup the CPS copied files wont that mean i dont need ADBO?

I cant see the difference. Sorry for my ingorance.

regards
colin

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Copying the files to a NAS would mean craeting a CPS backup destination on a NAS which is not supported.

Backup destinations can only be created on a server running under Windows 2003 Server operating system and also running either the Continuous Management Service (CMS) or Continuous Protection Agent (CPA).

In addition, only one backup destination is allowed for each logical volume or drive letter.

Please refer to the following link as well:

Backup Exec 10d (10.1) for Windows Servers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278550

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the answered questions pool

Douglas_Dahlber
Level 4
> Hi,
>
> Copying the files to a NAS would mean craeting a CPS
> backup destination on a NAS which is not supported.
>
> Backup destinations can only be created on a server
> running under Windows 2003 Server operating system
> and also running either the Continuous Management
> Service (CMS) or Continuous Protection Agent (CPA).
>
> In addition, only one backup destination is allowed
> for each logical volume or drive letter.
>
> Please refer to the following link as well:
>
> Backup Exec 10d (10.1) for Windows Servers Frequently
> Asked Questions (FAQ)
>
> http://support.veritas.com/docs/278550
>
>
> NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
> business days, this post would be marked assumed
> answered and would be moved to the answered questions
> pool

The NAS may not be supported as a backup destination but iSCSI devices are supported. Such as the Overland REO 4000 & 9000. The next best thing.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Looking at the original intent of the post- what is the difference between CPS and ADBO, I would think the major difference is the retention factor and ties to the Backup Exec catalog.

CPS does almost what its name implies in that it protects files nearly continuously (within 1 hour snapshots). It's backups (or copies) are tracked by its own journal. The journal and data can be backed up to tape, but it's more for disaster recovery rather than archive. So the longer the retention, the less attractive CPS is.

ADBO is tied directly into the BE catalog. although you could perform backups once an hour like CPS, it wouldn't be as efficient as CPS. However, the backing up from disk to tape stay within the BE catalog, so long lost files could conceivably be easier to find and retrieve. ADBO also offers some advanced SAN data mover features that provide for serverless backup.