cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL tapes in magazine show up as CLEANING MEDIA???

Phillip_Lee
Level 3
I recently installed a Dell Powervault 120 magnetic tape library. It holds 8 DDS type tapes. BackupExec recognizes the drive, but all the tapes show up as cleaning media. I have researched this and been unable to find a fix. I have applied all current service packs, and hotfixes that I could find.
I also have another client who is running version 9.1 and they are having the same issue. There has got to be a simple fix for this.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
10 REPLIES 10

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Are your slots configured as cleaning slots?

Go to "Devices" tab, highlight the library slot on the left hand window, on the upper right hand window you'll see all the slots (unless you've partitioned them) and all the tapes in the slots, right click on a slot and select "Properties", is the "Cleaning slot" option ticked?

Phillip_Lee
Level 3
Thanks for the quick reply! None of the slots are selected as a cleaning slot though. When I put the tapes in the magazine, and loaded it into the drive I ran an inventory in BackupExec, all the tapes came up as unknown media type. I then ran an Erase job, and when that completed all the tapes now say Cleaning Media under the media description column, and the have all been labeled starting with something like CLN:0003EC5EB10C

This is so F****in frustrating!

I appreciate your help....

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Run a test backup on one of these tapes.

Also, what media set do the tapes belong to?

Phillip_Lee
Level 3
I started a test run, but nothing happens. I can see the job running but there is nothing being written to the tapes. It does not even load any of the tapes into the drive.

They are all in the "Cleaning Media" media set. I did not create a -cleaning media- media set, and it does not show a "Cleaning Media" media set on the media tab. All I see is when I click on Media Location and choose "Online", it shows the 7 tapes that are in the magazine.

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Yeah the cleaning media set is not visable in v9.x.

Noy sure if this will help, but it's worth a try. Right click on one of the media (in the media sets tab) and select properties. On the general tab click the "..." and select the correct "Media type"

Another thing to try, move the media to the "Retired" media set, then delete the media. Then run an inventory on them again.

Phillip_Lee
Level 3
Thanks for that suggestion, unfortunately I have already tried the setting them to the correct media type. It will allow me to change the type, but I cannot change the media label and it still forces them in the Cleaning Media media set. \

I tried to move them to another media set, but it will not allow me to move them anywhere. I even created a new media set, and it would not let me do anything with it.

I feel like I am banging my head on a brick wall....

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
I didn't think my last suggestions were going to work. I'm currently looking into this. I have a feeling that it might be scsi id related.

In the mean time, you could try the usual things, like installing the lastest drivers and service packs. Or even upgrading to v9.1 (free upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1).

Phillip_Lee
Level 3
Thanks for all your help! I have already installed all the service packs and hotfixes I could find. I will actually be upgrading to version 10 next week so thats why I haven't already installed 9.1. I am hoping that will resolve the issue, but one of my co-workers said he is having the same issue at another clients site, and they are already running version 10.

What a pain in the A$$.......

Thanks again.

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
No worries.

How many drives are in the autoloader? What are the scsi id's and LUN's of the drive(s) and the library (robotic arm)?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190522.htm , if you haven't already