cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State"

tech_mwp
Level 3

Backup
V-79-57344-65225 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FEC9): A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

I get this error everytime I backup  the Windows 2008 R2 Server. Try was no resarved partition without any letters. I also have Advanced Open File Option removed. So what can I do to elimate this error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tech_mwp
Level 3

What I did was to try to backup system state using the windows command prompt. That gave me an error about Enumration of files failed. Incorrect parameter. One of the services where pointing to incorrect path in regedit. So what I did was remove the 3rd party program that was causing the system state to fail to backup that service.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Firstly run: vssadmin list writers to make sure your writers are all stable (they won't be if it is complaining about it in BE).

If not, restart your server and run the backup again. A restart is known to sort this issue out.

If not, post back here with the results...

THanks!

tech_mwp
Level 3

I did vssadmin list writers and everything showed up stable without any errors.

CraigV

...did you ever restart your server as mentioned as another step to try resolving your issue, or do you still have it?

tech_mwp
Level 3

I still do have problems with that error, even when I restarted the server

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are all BE available updates installed on the Backup Exec server ?

And after updating the BE Media server, make sure to update your remote agent(s).

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

tech_mwp
Level 3

all the updates have been installed

tech_mwp
Level 3

I have check the partions and found no recovery parition

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thats hardly possible - every installation since server 2008 should come with a separate boot partition of 100MB which only shows in the disk management but without any drive letter assigned. This one gets automatically created on the OS installation.

Could you post a screenshot of your windows disk management?

CraigV

...you might want to reregister your VSS *.dlls and see if that helps at all...

Follow the TN below...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

tech_mwp
Level 3

What I did was to try to backup system state using the windows command prompt. That gave me an error about Enumration of files failed. Incorrect parameter. One of the services where pointing to incorrect path in regedit. So what I did was remove the 3rd party program that was causing the system state to fail to backup that service.