cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time window for physical volume

Robbert_Vennik
Level 2
Good day,

I know this question has been posted a couple of times, and everytime everywhere everyone forwards people to the following site:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/194940.htm

Now unfortunately that did not do it for me (set it to two seconds, still expires).. What I also did is uninstall the AOFO and reinstall it, rebooted it a hundred times etc.. Nothing of this worked. After the troubleshooting sessions I've discovered that a couple of services (again, unfortunately not one) which cause the Quiet time to expire.. The server which gives the troubles is a W2K3 server, which acts as an Antivirus server and a WSUS server. With both the Antivirus and WSUS services disabled, there is no problem.
Is there any other way to avoid this message without disabling these services before a backup is made?
(since this server services :) a couple of european departments I don't really want to disable these services).

Thanks for any time and thoughts!!!
8 REPLIES 8

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

How much free space do you have on the Drive on which you are trying to create a cache file?

Do you select "Process Logical Volumes for backup one at a time" option durning the backup?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robbert_Vennik
Level 2
Hi! Thanks for your quick reply! :)

Anyway, there is appx. 36GB free on the drive which is backed up (capacity of the drive is 60GB, of which appx. 23 is used)

The option "Process Logical Volumes for backup one at a time" is activated. I get the same message when I run a test-backup solely on this drive.

Greetings,

Robbert Vennik

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Which anti virus programm are you using?

If using Backup Exec with Symantec anti-virus products, Symantec recommends that customers experiencing the issues mentioned in this document, upgrade to the latest versions of each of the products used to ensure the highest levels of compatibility between them.
Refer:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258341
http://support.veritas.com/docs/257796

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

backup_exec
Not applicable
I jrecently uninstalled WSUS2 and installed WSUS3, putting the WSUS store on a big RAID drive that also contained several folders we back up hourly using AOFO. (The store was previously on its own small drive but that was getting a bit full).

We immediately started getting the "AOFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time window for physical volume" errors.

The backup that normally took under 10 minutes was now taking 90 plus.

So I moved the WSUS store to a different drive and the error stopped straight away.
I don't know if this would also have happened with WSUS2, but I'm pretty sure the problem is due to the WSUS store location rather than running services per se.

I can't think why- it's a single WSUS server implementation (no downstream servers) using the built-in databse that syncs with Windows Update once a day in the evening, and updates 30 or so clients at lunchtime. It shouldn't be doing ANYTHING the rest of the day to upset AOFO.

William_Blair
Not applicable
Shilpa pawar wrote: Hi,

Which anti virus programm are you using?

If using Backup Exec with Symantec anti-virus products, Symantec recommends that customers experiencing the issues mentioned in this document, upgrade to the latest versions of each of the products used to ensure the highest levels of compatibility between them.
Refer:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258341
http://support.veritas.com/docs/257796

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

These types of canned answers are the -wrong- answer in most cases. Why not ask what version of Symantec products are running on the servers in question? What if we spend all our money upgrading to newest versions and it still doesn't work? That's a good answer for Symantec to make.

Anyway.. Hey Robert, try to process each logical volume independently and manually set the location of where to cache and give that a shot.

As a temporary solution; you could have Backup Exec run a script to stop some of the services (you've identified the problem services right?) before backups kick off and then have BackupExec turn'em back on after backup is completed.

Let me know how that works out.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
> I can't think why- it's a single WSUS server
> implementation (no downstream servers) using the
> built-in databse that syncs with Windows Update once
> a day in the evening, and updates 30 or so clients at
> lunchtime. It shouldn't be doing ANYTHING the rest of
> the day to upset AOFO.

WSUS clients have large amounts of random time elements involved, so they are doing things at times other than when you schedule the install.

Moe_Moe
Level 2
We had the same problem. The problem was resolved, along with numerous other problems, when we purged Symantec's anti-virus products from our network and switched to Trend's products.