cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO initialization failure

Daniel_Krage
Level 3
A particular job was running fine following our 11d install and suddenly this week, I've received the following error message every night.  I haven't found any information directly regarding this error message.  Any ideas?
All other jobs are running fine, some of which also backup system state information for other servers.

V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\BATMAN\System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot failed. Make sure that all provider services and tasks are running. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
3 REPLIES 3

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Hi Daniel,

When that error occurs, go on to the \\batman server, open a command window, and run:
vssadmin list writers
You may have to scroll to see all of the writers listed. Check for any writers that either show  a status that is not "Stable", or that show any error in the "Last error:" field.

Frequently, simply rebooting the affected server may resolve the issue. If not, Microsoft has a number of patches available, depending on which VSS writer is causing the failure.

Regards,
Greg

Daniel_Krage
Level 3
Thanks.  Using this command listed 9 writers of which only 2 were stable.  A reboot of the server resolved the problem.

fsb_isd
Level 3
I am not using AOFO however on one server and not every noght I get this error.  The next morning when I come in and check the status of the writers, just as you have recommended they all check out.  The Server is ISA 2004.  the only thing I can think of is if there were a log to check with more detail, perhaps a log would say that the writer failed.  It seems like a delay issues.  If I run a test here, it never fails of course.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dana