cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO: initialization failure

Marie_Gowler
Level 2
We are having problems with backing up a remote server namely exchange. It keeps failing with the following error:

Backup- NZEXCHANGE01AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\NZEXCHANGE01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
Unable to attach to this resource. Make sure that this resource exists, and then try again.

We tried reinstalling the agent but no change. Any other ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

Gerhard_Goebel_
Level 4
I had the same problem. I have the AOFO agant and the Exchange server agent installed on the backup server.

Searching the forum I found several references regarding this issue and all of them suggested splitting the backup jobs into 2, 1 backup up for the Exchange server utilizing the Exchange agent but without using AOFO, and the 2nd job without Exchange but with using the AOFO agent.

For me this is not a solution but a work around at best. I am very dissapointed that this worked just fine in V8.6 (where the application "figured out" which agent to use) but in V10 I need several jobs.

I was hoping that this would be resolved with SP1 but apparently it's still an open issue.

I sure wonder why Veritas is dragging their feet. This is a high priority and an issue for too long. I hope that a fix will be provided fairly soon.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What all data are you backing up on the Exchange server? What is the OS on the Exchange server and what is the version of Exchange? Have you installed the Advanced open file option and if yes, are you using it during the Exchange server backup.
Make sure that the remote agent service is running on the remote server and using the local system account. Also check for errors in the Windows event logs when the job fails. What is the exact error code in the job log?

Elaborate with details to the above questions.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Marie_Gowler
Level 2
Hi there,

Here are the answers to your questions. We are backing up two local drives, information store and shadow copy components. The version of exchange is 2003. I did install the aofo dll on our exchange server to see if it resolved the problem but this did not work, the job which we currently use does not have the aofo option chosen, the job includes the backup of our file and print server (veritas is installed here) and exchange server. Yes the service is running on exchange and it does use the local system account. In the windows event logs, it returns an error code of 34113 and following error:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "NZPENAN4S003") (Job: "Daily") Daily -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

Thanks