Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVVI - problem with size of differential backup

OP
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi !

SInce 2 weeks we're having a problem with a backup from a w2k8 r2 server (with exchange and fileservices) as the differentialbackup is done as a full backup. Before that point the diff backups ran fine and were about 2-3 GB in size, now it's about 600 GB. Due to that we are running out of disksspace on the b2d-system :( every day.

The backupstrategy is B2D, afterwards D2T - daily diff-jobs and full-job on the weekend.

The BE is 2010 R2 with all actual patches, it's a esx 4.0 pathlevel end of 2010.

I didn't change a thing to produce that problem (as I'm aware of..), there is no error message (except "no space left...").

Any ideas?

Regards

O.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OP
Level 4
Partner Accredited

problem has vanished...

The size of the diff-backups is backup to normal - and we didn't change a thing - very strange !

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Please make sure CBT (Counter block tracking is enabled on your VMs) which will read the changed block in case of inc/Diff backups.
See here to enable it:

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/virtualization-pro/what-is-changed-block-tracking-in-vsphe...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

OP
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thx for your suggestion, but:

- it's a local storage with vmfs not nfs

- the ctr/cbt is enabled - it worked before, so it WAS enabled. But I checked it - it's still enabled..

Grts

O.

OP
Level 4
Partner Accredited

problem has vanished...

The size of the diff-backups is backup to normal - and we didn't change a thing - very strange !