cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Able to catalog B2D, NOT able to restore?

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
I run my backups on VMWare virtual XP workstations (yes, XP, it runs almost twice as fast as W2K3 server).  I back up everything to a SAN volume, then mount the SAN volume from a huge backup server that has several removable SATA drives.  Once the volume is mounted, I simply copy the .BKF files to the removable and take it offsite.

I've never had this problem with any other backups, but I have a monthly disk that shows me five .BKF files that I can successfully catalog but when I go to restore data, I receive "The selected media was not found in the catalogs.  You must first catalog the media if you want to use it for restore operations".

All other backups are able to be catalogued and restored.  Anything I'm missing here?
1 REPLY 1

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi Kevin,

When you copy .bkf files like that, you can end up with multiple bkf files with the same media ID, which it will caused problems within the database.

To avoid this problem, instead of copying the bkf files to the removable disk it is recommended that you will run a duplicate backup job.  This will avoid the problem with the multiple bkf files with same ID.

If you are in need of restoring something from those files, since the backups are to disk, the easiest way to do this will be to install BE into a temp server or workstation or even a VMWare machine and inventory and catalog those file there.  Then restore the data.