cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RALUS 11D install for RHEL3??

David_Frandin
Level 4
Before going any further, I have read the other threads on this forum regarding installing the 11D RALUS agent, but the only one even close refers to installing on a SunOS platform. I have two RHEL3 systems which had been backed up via BE10D and the 10D agent, we are trying to upgrade to 11D, but of course, the
installed 10D agent warns about being the wrong version, when addressed by an 11D media server, so, as suggested, I checked the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RALUS\Linux
folder and all I see there is a VRTSRaluspatch.tar.gz with a size of only 1K.. Surely this isnt the 11D agent.. I know we are licensed for the Linux agent, so I downloaded the BEWS_11D.7170_LINUX-UNIX-MAC-NT4_AGENTS.2.tar.gz from the website, and attempted to follow the earlier
responses from one of the moderators who stated that the 11D agent install is very similiar to the 10D install.. I had followed the 10D RALUS install instructions (doc # 282010) many times as we have over 20 RHEL3/4 servers which have had the 10D agent installed on them.  Unpacking  the above tar.gz package as root on the Linux machine in question, I get a 'cdimg' directory, with an "installralus" script in it, and
from my experience with the 10D install, I would have expected this to be executable, so I tried a "chmod a+x installralus" and get all sorts of goofy perl errors.  So right there, 11D sure doesnt install like 10D... I tried running, again as root, from the cdimg directory,  the "installralus.cmd" which was executable.. There I get a "permission denied".. Did I mention I'm running these as root??  Since this is an x86 version of Linux, I tried looking in the RALUSx86 directory, and see nothing executable, and in the pkgs dir, I see only a
darwinx86 and a SunOSx86 dir, no linux... So apparently, at least to me, 11D RALUS does NOT install like 10D.. What IS the magic incantation to get the 11D RALUS installed on a RHEL3 system???? It's certainly
not clear from any knowledgebase articles I've been able to find...

Thanks in advance,
Dave Frandin

4 REPLIES 4

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi David,

The install process for RALUS 11d is the same as the 10d.  Make sure the 10d Ralus agent is completely uninstall first.  Then download the new RALUS agent from https://fileconnect.symantec.com/dispatch this requires the serial number that was provided when you purchased the product, which is not the same as your activation key that you enter during an installation.

If you don't have that handy you can download it from here http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/trialware.jsp?pcid=1018&pvid=57_1

Regards,
Sandra Rodriguez

David_Frandin
Level 4
Since you mention a "new RALUS agent", I assume you mean that the BEWS_11D.7170_LINUX-UNIX-MAC-NT4_AGENTS.2.tar.gz already downloaded is NOT the correct package to use? Assuming that is what you are saying, I went to https://fileconnect.symantec.com/dispatch and entered the serial number for our install of the
"Remote Agent for Linux/Unix Servers", from the besernum.xml. The entry on the dispatch page tells me that is an invalid serial number, so further following your instructions, I went to http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/trialware.jsp?pcid=1018&pvid=57_1 and all I get there is a white/blank page.. Since it is such a convoluted URL, I copied/pasted it into IE7, and got the white/blank page..
What do I do now?

Dave

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Dave:

Try going to Backupexec.com.  Once there select to download the trialware from the Free downloads area.

Regards,
Sandra Rodriguez

David_Frandin
Level 4
Umm.. When I go to BackupExec.com, and go to the download trialware link,  I'm offered the same package I mentioned earlier in this thread that I already have, and have been attempting to install. ie: BEWS_11D.7170_LINUX-UNIX-MAC-NT4_AGENTS.2.tar.gz .. This package untars to a cdimg directory, in which I see an "installralus", which in the 10D agent package, was marked as executable, and when ./installralus was run, the agent installed without any muss/fuss.. In this package, the only executable files are the installralus.cmd and uinstallralus.cmd. When attempting to run the ./installralus.cmd as root, I get "permission denied" .. Also tried chmod'ing the installralus script to a+x, I get a strange perl error. Having installed the 10D agent MANY times, this package does not appear to "install like 10D"... What am I doing wrong??

Dave