cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied during IDR restore.

James_Martin_2
Level 3
I'm testing the IDR by attempting a full restore to a remote test server. I booted the test server from the IDR CD and the IDR Wizard took me though to the point where it is showing me the media avalable to restore. I select everything and continue. A restore job starts but then fails with the following...
Final error: 0xa000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server.
Final error category: Security Errors
Access is denied to Remote Agent

I'm obviously connecting to the Media Server because it's showing the job in the Job Monitor with the errors. I imagine I must have a permission set wrong somewhere, but I don't know where. When the IDR Wizard gets to the "Connect to Media Server" screen I'm putting in the Server IP Address (name doesn't work), Domain (name of server), username (administrator), and the administrator password.

Any help much appreciated.

Jim
6 REPLIES 6

Barry_Pain
Level 3
Off the top of my head you need to use the following credentials:

Server name
Domain (must be Full Domain name such as internal.xyzcorp.com)
Username must be member of domain admins group (I.E. administartor by default)

Wjhat im am getting at is that you must use the domain admin account, not the local one.

HTH

James_Martin_2
Level 3
Thanks for replying. Here's some more information that might help lead to a solution. When the IDR Wizard gets to the Connect to Media Server screen...
For Server Name I tried using the server name but I got an access denied error. I found a help article suggesting using the IP address instead and that worked (got me past the login screen).
For Domain Name the instructions say that if the server is not part of a domain (which it's not) then just use the server name and that seems to work - at least on that login screen. Both the backup media server and the server I'm restoring to are part of a workgroup but not a domain. However - the data that I'm restoring is a backup of a server that is in a domain but not part of the workgroup. I don't know enough about networking to know if this matters. I've sort of fallen into this task after our network admin was let go.

Jim.

James_Martin_2
Level 3
Here is what I've figured out. When you initiate an IDR from a remote server, there is a point where you connect to the Media Server. You supply Server, Domain, User, Password and it creates a Temporary IDR User on the Media Server. You can see this user by clicking on Network, Logon Accounts. This was happening for me. I found a tech article (257160) which outlines how to do a manual restore. So I tried it. Instead of selecting from the media listed by the IDR Wizard, I chose "I will provide my own restore media". The IDR Wizard then waits for you to initiate the restore from the Media Server.
On the Media Server, when you are setting up the restore job, under File Redirection, there is a spot to change the Server Logon Account and the Path Logon Account. The help article (257160) said to change them to the Temporary IDR User mentioned earlier. I did this and the restore worked.
So - the big question is - WHY DOESN'T AN IDR RESTORE THAT IS INITIATED FROM A REMOTE SERVER USE THE LOGON ACCOUNTS THAT IT CREATED IN THE FIRST PLACE? As a remote user you have no control over the login credentials at this point. This seems to be a bug.

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Greetings !!

The error "Authentication failed on connection to the server" may occur due to insufficient access rights to the account, used for connecting to the target system. Also, the error may occur if the connection between the remote server and the Media server is lost. Ensure that the media server is able to ping the remote server and vice versa. Also, add the IP address and the server name of the Media server in the Hosts file of the remote server.

Also, the IDR restore on a different hardware than the original one usually creates problems. We recommend having similar hardware for the IDR purpose.

Make sure that Remote Agent runnning is using "Local System Account".

Hope this helps.

James_Martin_2
Level 3
Actual problem was not solved - IDR initiated from the remote server does not work. However, the workaround accomplished the task required.

James_Martin_2
Level 3
I don't understand completely what you are recommending. I don't believe there is a connection issue. I'm able to connect to the target system from the Media Server and browse the contents of the folders.
I'm attempting to restore a backup of the MediaServer itself. It's just a standard PC and I'm restoring to another PC, so I'd say the hardware is similar.
I started with an empty target pc, booted with the IDR CD, went through the wizard, put in the login credentials and it created the temporary login account on the Media Server, which also tells me there isn't a connection problem. I'm not sure why any of the access rights would be incorrect since the IDR process is handling all of it.
I'll try the hosts file thing - but normally during an IDR, I wouldn't have access to the hosts file to edit anyway. It isn't until after the restore is finished that the IDR wizard gives you a promt to run CMD.exe.
You said Make sure Remote Agent running is using "Local System Account". Do you mean on the target computer? Any remote agent that might be running was installed by the IDR CD and wizard. I have no control over accounts and permissions when doing an IDR. I guess this is the part I don't understand.